Faithful Companion, version 2
Post-comp New Year's Eve release.
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
EctoComp 2013 compressed file
Contains Faithful Companion.zblorb
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Ectocomp Version 1
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Faithful Companion

by Matt Weiner profile

2013

The "Play On-line" link should now go to version 2!

First Publication Date: October 31, 2013
IFID: 12ECADA4-BE42-462F-8BD3-48FF623BEC6E
TUID: lyzt6jpjzbt87xr

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

Entrant - 7th Annual New Year's Minicomp

4th Place - Ectocomp 2013

News

Expand all | Add a news item

A short puzzle game about a ghost that mimics your actions, February 3, 2016

In this short ectocomop game, you are trying to enter a tomb and lay a spirit to rest. However, the spirit copies everything you do, performing your actions two turns later.

This causes a lot of trouble, as the puzzles include latches that you can push open and push close, so he pushes stuff closed as you push it open.

I had fun with this. However, out of the three puzzles, I twice thought I had the right solution and failed; both times, it was because I didn't realize that the ghost goes first in simultaneous actions.

There are just 3 puzzles. Fun for puzzle fans.

Annoying puzzle game., January 4, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)

I know this was meant as a puzzle, but to me having to outsmart the ghost who follows you was just annoying. The puzzles weren't overly hard, just frustrating, especially at the beginning.

But besides that, the lack of any real backstory made me dislike this game.

Overall, it isn't horrible, but I don't like puzzles for the sake of puzzles. There has to be more to the story rather than a restless ghost who is now terrorizing the cemetery because of looters. Maybe the deceased was a dear friend. Perhaps the ghost gives the player snippets of his memories of the looters, or even his previous life. There is so much more storywise that could've been added.

Others will like it, but even after completing it I'm not a fan.

Interesting interaction mechanics, December 3, 2013
by streever (America)

This short, fast game has interesting interaction mechanics, and provides a fun short play-through.

If you enjoyed Faithful Companion...