at Ryan's website.

The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening

by Ryan Veeder profile

An unauthorized sequel to the Infocom classic, written for the 2018 MIT Mystery Hunt.

First Publication Date: January 12, 2018
Forgiveness Rating: Unutterable
IFID: 2129F231-53B0-40D2-8E22-438A8BEB86A9
TUID: jfab6frk3f6g5yme

Sequel to The Lurking Horror, by Dave Lebling

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee - defeating Ynf-Okh-Omm, Best Individual Puzzle - 2018 XYZZY Awards

Didnít even know there was a sequel, January 16, 2021
by End Master (The Outer Reaches Of Your Mind)
So Iíve been starting to look for IFs in this very database that might be of interest to me and to my surprise when I was doing my review of Lurking Horror, I found out there was a sequel. Granted not an official one, but a sequel nevertheless. I made a note to check it out later.

I sort of went in a little skeptical based on the reviews since having played the original, this one just didnít sound like anything like it.

And it isnít, but that turned out to be just fine. Probably the best comparison is how the original Evil Dead movie was played a lot more serious than the second movie, but the second movie was good in its own way. A humor approach probably was the best way to go with a sequel even though humor can be a bit of a roll of the dice on appealing, but it rolled a natural 20 for me.

The ďGroundhog DayĒ death gimmick was also incorporated well, though the time limit is a bit too tight at times since thereís a few places where you have to make every move count before instadeath and you have to start all over again (Donít bother picking up those books/notes/papers just read and wait to die)

I still like the original better, but this was fun to play through and a whole lot quicker to restart when I died. The game has an amusing subtitle too.

A try-die-repeat game with oddball knowledge-based puzzles, January 26, 2018
The original Lurking Horror was one of my favorite Infocom games, so I was interested in seeing Veeder's take on it.

This game is closer to Captain Verdeterre's Plunder than to any of Ryan's other games. Like Verdeterre, this game has a tight timer that sends you to your death, and you must play over and over to beat it.

This game exploits that structure for the story in amusing ways, though. You pick up in G.U.E. Tech (from Lurking Horror, itself inspired by M.I.T.), stuck in a time loop caused by the awakening of an Elder God. You are very aware of your previous iterations.

Progress is similar to Hadean Lands, in that you progress by gaining knowledge that your later iterations use. But instead of being tracked in-game, the knowledge is stored in password-like spells. The spell names include mangled versions of the author's name and a scrambled name of a D&D slime demon.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit; the solutions were generally very reasonable, and there was a nice 'power boost' or two near the middle of the game, with the end requiring you to tie everything together. I got impatient with one puzzle in the middle, when I had half a dozen unused spells and the same number of unsolved rooms and I couldn't figure out which ones went together. I decompiled to get past that stage, and didn't have any trouble after that.

Excellent game!, February 25, 2018
by Denk
Related reviews: inform
Though I have never played The Lurking Horror, playing this unofficial sequel was really really fun. To my knowledge the concept is quite original: You have 9 moves to finish the game, before something bad happens. However, you need to play the game over and over to obtain the necessary knowledge needed to succeed.

The puzzles are great and are solved by casting spells. To begin with they are quite easy but later on they get a bit tricky. For my taste the difficulty level was just right.

The implementation seemed flawless and the atmosphere was fitting. I can't really say anything bad about this game, so I higly recommend this one.

If you enjoyed The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening...

People who like The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening also gave high ratings to these games:

Ex Materia, by Juhana Leinonen
PLEASE ENTER A TOPIC

The Milgram Parable, by Peter Eastman
Your job is simple: do whatever you are told, without question or hesitation. If you don't, people will die. Probably including you.

Dead Reckoning, by David Whyld
Drawn back to your childhood town of Morrow after a distraught call from a friend, you find yourself in a life-or-death struggle against an ancient evil intent on lifting an ages old curse.

The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for July 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, July 6, 2018, I published several new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Many of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

Favorite IF Authors (represented by games) by Denk
This list does not include authors, where I have only played one of their games. Thus great games such as Anchorhead and Blue Lacuna are currently not included.

More Recommended Horror Games by thecanvasrose
A list of well-rated, reputable and interesting horror games not included in my favorite horror games list. For those looking to explore the genre in IF.

The following polls include votes for The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening:

Best parser games since 2017 by Rovarsson
When browsing for good recent games, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of Twine and Choice games. Add to that a great number of games with five stars and only one rating, many of which are also, yes, Twine and Choice games, it gets difficult...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Give me a second chance! by verityvirtue
I'm looking for games which work like Bigger Than You Think - where dying isn't the end, where you're given second chances, where your second chances give you gear or skills or knowledge that you need to know to win the game.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 29 February 2020 at 10:17pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item