The Golden

by Kerry Taylor

You are Jane, a seventeen year old girl trapped in a seaside house with no electricity and little food. Navigate the house, your increasingly strained relationships with your father and brother, and your own dread in the time it takes for the sun to set.

First Publication Date: April 2, 2020
TUID: ielx3zn0q4a27s39

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2020

A very short Twine story with allusive worldbuilding and implied relationships, April 7, 2020

This short Twine game about some disaster making people not want to go out (at first seeming like Covid, later not so much).

It satisfies my 5 requirements for stars:

-Polished. This has great understated use of color and is organized neatly, with an interesting mechanic at the end.

-Descriptive: The house, people, and items and even mood were palpable to me as I read.

-Emotional impact: I could really feel the emotions the game was pushing out, maybe just because of my quarantine experiences.

-Interactivity: The card game was a nice change, and I felt like my choices in general had some kind of impact, if nothing else than in my roleplaying.

-Would I play it again? I already did. I like the feel of it. Might play it again.

A very subtle game, April 10, 2020

More than a slice of life, The Golden is a simple Twine game which manage to bring you in his world and to convey true feelings only by telling small events ; this quite behaviorist way to proceed (like a Kiyoshi Kurosawa film) works better than any Hollywoodian story, despite of its brevity. To sum up, this is a kind of haku in Twine.

Some folks love this short pre-apocalypse CYOA, but it's too elusive for me., November 14, 2021
by Wade Clarke (Sydney, Australia)
Related reviews: spring thing 2020, Twine, choice-based

(This is an edited version of a review I originally wrote for my blog during Spring Thing 2020.)

The Golden is an elusive, faintly ominous Twine CYOA about a sister, brother and father stuck together in a seaside house in an unspecified end-of-days situation.

There are some tense character bits involving familial strain a tortured card game especially on the first run but the characters aren't specific enough for these to have full effect. For instance, if the blurb hadn't told me the heroine was seventeen, I wouldn't have suspected it from the writing. She seemed much younger to me, partly because of a sense that she looked up to her brother and partly because she didn't express anything too complex. She just didn't express enough. I don't really know what the problem was with the brother. Only the father had enough tics to make him stand out to me. Geography is a little fuzzy, too, a not uncommon situation in a Twine in which you can move around a little.

I don't know if there's a standard model in Twine that involves making the last word in a passage the link to the next page, a typical strategy in this IF, but if there is, I'd say beware it. Words should generally be lit with intention. When 'God' on the end of 'Thank God' is the only link on a page, that looks highly significant, but proved to be no different than other standard forward links when clicked.

I liked the end of the story because of the aforementioned ominousness. I also felt that the game worked to build an anticipatory mood for it. Characterisation was the thin area. A piece this compact, written from one character's point of view and clearly indicating its characters are specific, needs to specify those characters more. There's not a lot of time to do it in, but maybe that means what time there is can't be handled as gently as I felt it was here.

If you enjoyed The Golden...

People who like The Golden also gave high ratings to these games:

L'homme-taupe, by Leo Henry
Work and life of a famous irish excentric, the Mole Man, who excavated under his victorian house, like a mole. Leo Henry plays with the meaning of "passage" in a Twine game to reflect on outsider art and hypertext as well.

Untitled Nopperabou Game, by Stewart C Baker
A spooky homage to Untitled Goose Game set in 1700s Japan, created for Ectocomp 2019. It's a beautiful night in the village. You're a faceless ghost.

Dungeons & Deadlines, by Miles Matrix
Imagine a world where you sell your labour power for less than the value produced by your labour, and your company profits from this surplus value. Welcome to Dungeons & Deadlines, a card game where you have to balance work and life,...

The Golden appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite "atmosphere" games by MathBrush
These are games that are fun because of the atmosphere and plot more than the puzzles. These games are not too hard and not too easy. They generally have a big over-arching theme. I have included most horror and comedy games in other...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Sobol on 3 April 2020 at 10:41am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item