Play Online
Full version with sound. Type "music" to toggle the soundscape on or off.
Play or Download on itch.io
Play in the browser, or download the most recent update.
Story File - No Sound
Story file for use with an interpreter.
Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
Story File - With Sound
Story file for use with an interpreter. Includes the atmospheric soundscape.
Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
ECTOCOMP 2010
Contains Renegade_Brainwave.taf
Original ECTOCOMP version, bundled with the other ECTOCOMP 2010 entries.
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Renegade Brainwave

by J. J. Guest profile

Humor
2010

"Beware! Beware! Take care! For you are about take part in an interactive story that will reveal the terrifying truth behind the mysterious Soviet space programme! Revelations of incredible horrors that will terrify you with their brutal reality!

For this is the story of a mysterious force — a force that has crossed the billion mile vastness of infinite space! Boneless, fleshless, almost invisible and yet imbued with incredible power — I speak to you of cosmic radiation!

The deadly solar radiation that has the power to raise the dead! The power to amplify brainwaves to many times their natural strength — so that even a weak little puppy could wipe out a city of concrete and steel — with the power of her mind!

In a future that grows ever closer, the fate of the Earth lies in the hands of one man. That man is Detective Frank Douglas — that man, my friend, is YOU!

God help us... in the future!"

Renegade Brainwave is an interactive fiction inspired by Hollywood B-Movies, based on my 2010 ECTOCOMP 2nd place winner. The 2019 version features more locations, more puzzles, and an atmospheric soundtrack featuring music by Monstrous Movie Music.

"Really fun writing, a spot-on, over-the-top, sci-fi B-movie spoof." - Duncan Bowsman, ECTOCOMP judge.

"Hilarious, well-written and full of clever puzzles to boot." - Mel Stefaniuk, ECTOCOMP judge.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2010
TUID: h3ovvff22smlmmc

2nd Place - Ectocomp 2010

News

Expand all | Add a news item

ADRIFT Forum (Reviews are for the original ADRIFT version)
(reviews from ECTOCOMP 2010 judges)

If you enjoyed Renegade Brainwave...

People who like Renegade Brainwave also gave high ratings to these games:

To Catch A Dragonfly, by Andrew Metzger
In this small game, you play as an electrical engineer, maybe? Anyway, you were getting ready for a big date in a rented tux when your boss orders you to get the new high-powered experimental safety net working so his joyriding boss...

The Impossible Bottle, by Linus Εkesson
Housework is only as dull as your imagination. Join Emma, six years old, on a playful adventure of peculiar proportions. Merciful puzzlefest. Parser or point-and-click, as you please. Web (including mobile) or Z-machine.

Daddy's Birthday, by Jonathan8
It all started with a walkthrough of an imaginary game that 8-year-old Ruth typed for Daddy's birthday... then Daddy converted it into a real game, with Ruth's help. It is possible to play it exactly as in the original walkthrough, or to...

Renegade Brainwave appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games With Cover Art Designed by J. J. Guest by J. J. Guest
As well as writing games, I enjoy making cover art for them. This list includes all the games I've designed the cover art for. The top three covers on the list are my favourites, and I'd like to do more in a similar vein. If you have a...

The following polls include votes for Renegade Brainwave:

"Camp" Games by Pinstripe
Games which have, or might be considered to have, a camp aesthetic or sense of humor. "Camp is a certain mode of aestheticism. It is one way of seeing the world as an aesthetic phenomenon. That way, the way of Camp, is not in terms of...

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

Games that could use more reviews by MathBrush
I love to review games. Let me know if you've made a game that needs more reviews, or can suggest someone else's! I might not be personally able to review every game due to time, content, or platform, but I'll try!

This is version 14 of this page, edited by J. J. Guest on 10 February 2022 at 11:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item