Download from web site
Story file
Download from itch.​io
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Captain Cutter's Treasure

by Garry Francis profile

Pirate

You wake up in the broom closet of The Red Anchor with a nasty bump on the back of your head. A note is pinned to the wall with a knife. It says, 'Return me treasure by sunset or the girl gets it. - Cutter'.

What treasure? What girl? Who is Cutter? It's up to you to find the answers to these questions and meet Cutter's demand.

The game takes place on the waterfront around a small harbour and onboard Captain Cutter's ship. You will meet some colourful characters along the way, most of whom are pirates or ex-pirates. There are twists and turns aplenty as you try to solve the puzzles to find the treasure and rescue the girl in an adventure full of pirate tropes.

First Publication Date: May 3, 2021
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
IFID: C60F3229-DF66-4818-B3B0-6685BCB80D1C
TUID: fk3w5ueatnpdbfk

1st Place - PunyJam #1

Return treasure, rescue girl, and ... do better next time, if you want, May 31, 2021
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)

Captain Cutter's Treasure (CCT) is an impressive, small game. A pirate's daughter has been kidnapped. The ransom is some hidden treasure. You have to find and return it. There's a map to put together, and ... a bit more. But not too much.

The game has a respectable dialogue system that helps you flesh out as much of the story as you want to. There's even a very small puzzle that crosses genres into (Spoiler - click to show)Sokoban, and while you can put the game into an unwinnable state this way, it's relatively clear what to do without feeling dumb and obvious. I was more baffled with how to open a locked door, though when I thought through it, I realized I missed a few clues.

The game has three possible endings that I counted, and since doing the obvious right thing gets the "only okay" ending, there's some interesting meta/detective work. I think I got lucky (Spoiler - click to show)distracting Barnaby when he was on watch--I understood what to do but didn't have as good an idea of the ship's map as I did of the warehouse. Maybe it was just dealing with fore and aft. But it was pleasing to figure out what should generally happen.

This was a really good experience, well-organized and without a lot of red herrings. I'm not surprised

There are some issues of having to disambiguate more than you should need to for the parser, but I think that's more a function of people getting comfortable with programming PunyInform than any serious shortcomings. Besides, there's always the up-arrow on Frotz. So I think this is worth fighting through, and knowing this in advance will hopefully ensure that if you play CCT, you'll be able to see all CCT has to offer.

By golly, Jolly Roger!, March 14, 2022
by Rovarsson (Belgium)

The beginning of this game has you waking up in the broom closet of the pub after a brawl. The first thing you see is some kind of nonsensical ransom note about a treasure you know nothing about.

Up to you to figure out what this means.

Captain Cutter's Treasure is a straightforward pirate-themed game which unashamedly ticks a lot of standard boxes. A hidden treasure, a coded map, a damsel in distress,...

Nothing original, but great fun to run around interrogating drunken sailors and exploring the coastal town.

The NPCs have quite a lot to say besides the requisite clues they have to offer. Spend a few minutes with each one to find out what he or she thinks about the rest of the characters.

There is a definite appeal in the portrayal of the coastal town. It feels a bit like a LEGO model of a pirate adventure. All the necessary locations are there, and it doesn't take much to build a much larger world in your imagination from the few morsels of worldbuilding you are given.

The puzzles are easy when taken alone. The harder (but not really hard) part is to figure out how to get the optimal ending. It's no trouble at all to hunt around until you reached all three endings. Once you know the town and have talked to everyone the first time, it's a matter of minutes to do the preparations before trying a new path toward victory.

And now I'm going to rebuild my son's LEGO pirate ship. Arrr!

What shall we do with the drunken sailor?, May 5, 2021
by jakomo
Related reviews: punyjam1

A puzzle-filled pirate-themed adventure: the local publican's daughter has been kidnapped by nasty pirates. To rescue her, you'll need to uncover the mystery of their stolen treasure. Lots of intricate details implemented here: chatty NPCs who respond to lots of conversation topics, a pirate ship that requires nautical directions to navigate, a very cool imprisonment-and-escape sequence. Everything exudes an appropriate 1700s-era flavour. Puzzles aren't easy: I couldn't get past the crate puzzle in the warehouse, which sadly brought an abrupt end to the fun.

If you enjoyed Captain Cutter's Treasure...

People who like Captain Cutter's Treasure also gave high ratings to these games:

Ted Paladin And The Case Of The Abandoned House, by Anssi Räisänen
Known for your text adventure skills, you have been called in for help to reveal the secrets of a locked, abandoned house scheduled to be demolished soon. Can you manage the task bestowed upon you?

The Onion of Destiny, by Jason Dyer
You have come to the top of the Eiffel Tower to prevent a catastrophe. Nostradamus's writings have told you that unless you cut an onion with a ceremonial knife before 10 this morning somewhere up here, the world is doomed.

Trapped in a One-Room Dilly, by Laura Knauth
A one-room game. It's nicely appointed, but... [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Captain Cutter's Treasure appears in the following Recommended Lists:

New walkthroughs for September 2021 by David Welbourn
On Tuesday, September 28, 2021, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! (Plus a walkthrough for a game called Chipmonk not listed on IFDB yet.) Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon....

The following polls include votes for Captain Cutter's Treasure:

The most enjoyable Z-code games by Fredrik Ramsberg
I'd like to compile a list of some of the most enjoyable games available in Z-code format (blorbed or not). Please add games that you thoroughly liked, and vote for games already on the list. Everything from short pieces to epic works...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 29 September 2021 at 5:02pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item