Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

The Call of the Shaman

by Larry Horsfield

Episode 6 of The Adventures of Alaric Blackmoon

Your bride-to-be, Princess Bronwynn, has been poisoned in a botched assassination attempt. The poison is a very rare one and you must travel to a far land to find the Shaman who is the only person who might know how to make the antidote.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: firr7ovgimu4g65m

2nd Place - 2019 ADRIFT Game of the Year Award

72nd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

The latest in an epic series of Adrift games. Travel to colonial America., October 13, 2019

I've seen the Alaric Blackmoon series suggested to me on IFDB for years, but never tried one of the games.

There are six or more in the series, and they involve a valiant warrior in Europe in the times of swords and armor.

In this game, you travel to America to encounter a Native American shaman.

I'd love to talk more about the game, but I encountered a game-destroying bug. A thief comes into town, and you chase him out. When I killed him, he kept appearing anyway, and so I was periodically kicked out of town and could not reach the trading post.

I'd love to update my review if this bug were fixed!

Edit: There is an updated version that fixed that bug, and I had fun exploring the town. I added another star to the review. I got stuck again, because I couldn't find Henrik, but I'll keep trying!

If you enjoyed The Call of the Shaman...

People who like The Call of the Shaman also gave high ratings to these games:

Revenge of the Space Pirates, by Larry Horsfield
Jaelaine, the High Priestess of the Psian people, whom you met on the "Magnetic Moon", has been kidnapped by the space pirates who trapped your spaceship on the moon. You have gone under cover to try to rescue her - can you discover...

Run, Bronwynn, Run!, by Larry Horsfield
You, Princess Bronwynn of Alizon, learn that your parents plan to marry you off to Prince Timothy, the middle-aged son of the King and Queen of Karsten, a neighbouring kingdom.

Return to Castle Coris, by Larry Horsfield
The intrepid Duke has returned to Castle Coris, where he thwarted the Xixon sorcerer Zalazar's plan to destroy the world with a horde of demons from Hell (See THE SPECTRE OF CASTLE CORIS). The castle has been undergoing renovation by...

The Call of the Shaman appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Denk
The following games are in my opinion the best ADRIFT 5 games. The games I like most have been given the highest position, except for Larry Horsfield's games, which would have taken all places in top 5, if I had not distributed them...

The following polls include votes for The Call of the Shaman:

Low-rated games worth playing by diddlescatter
Looking for games that may have gotten poor reviews but are still memorable and worth playing for the story.

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Bainespal
I set up the Linux version of ADRIFT 5 on my Mint 16 system. I even ripped the icon from the Windows version, as documented in this thread. Software support for Mint 16 is ending after this month. Before I have to configure my system all...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 5 May 2021 at 12:47am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item