Foo Foo

by Buster Hudson profile

Mystery

Someone's been bopping the field mice on the head, and only Good Fairy, Senior Detective can find out who.

A parser-driven noir adventure based on the interactive fiction of Ryan Veeder.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2016
TUID: ec6x9y8qcmsrxob9

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2016 XYZZY Awards

1st Place - First Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction

46th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2016

Foo Foo: cuddly genius, October 7, 2020

This is a serious 9/10 -- 10/10 game.

Some isolated thoughts:

I don't know if I can get enough of the concept of small cuddly stuffed animals being embroiled in a hardboiled noir story. A few of my favorite quotes for the sake of cuteness (minor spoilers):

(Spoiler - click to show)Lions, tigers, and bears, all beautifully crafted, lifelike. Malice flashes in their beady plastic eyes. They reach into their own stuffing and withdraw a handgun each.

(Spoiler - click to show)
You hold Doohickey up in front of your face and get licked softly and dryly, because his tongue is made of felt.
>pet doohickey
Doohickey wags his tail.

The worldbuilding is great, the action is thrilling, the twists are spectacular, and the ending broke my heart a little bit.

My only complaint is (major spoiler) (Spoiler - click to show)when Sabado tells you to get anything "with wish powder on it" out of the area, I thought he was referring to any stuffed animals that were still 'alive', and so didn't realize that he was also referring to the pouch of wish powder. Other than that, everything's quite clear and well-laid-out.

A brilliant take on noir, April 10, 2021
by Chin Kee Yong (Singapore)

This is the kind of game that lures you in with twee storybook trappings before bopping you on the head and leaving you out cold in a dark alley. It's a magnificently competent parser game with far more worldbuilding chops and emotional weight than it has any right to have.

You play Good Fairy, Senior Detective, in a brilliant noir plot about corruption, cheese-dealing, and cutthroat economic pressures. There's a gunfight. There's a femme fatale. The prose is good; the drama meaty. That the author has turned a story about fairies and talking animals into a piece of gripping crime fiction is, I think, a truly commendable effort.

The puzzles were straightforward and signposted well, and I enjoyed the diegetic hint system in the form of Murphy (although I didn't use it very often). I very much enjoyed the multiple plot twists and the moral choices that Good Fairy was called upon to make.

Overall 9/10 game. Short, sweet, and wonderfully sharp, like a meringue you could cut someone with.

Sharp-witted noir under a fluffy covering, March 30, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: sanguine

If you like Jasper Ffordeís Jack Sprat series, a novel series giving a noir spin to nursery rhymes, youíll probably enjoy this. All the field mice have been leaving town; someoneís been bopping heads - and itís up to you, Fairy Detective, to find out why.

Hudsonís writing is extremely readable, and while the characters may be talking fluffy animals, there is sharpness underneath. The forces working in the town are the familiar push and pull of racism and the search for better opportunities, anthropomorphism or not.

Foo Foo is directed enough that I could figure most things out with just a little guidance and some in-game hints. Overall a well-written murder mystery, with an intriguing setting that I enjoyed.

If you enjoyed Foo Foo...

People who like Foo Foo also gave high ratings to these games:

The barbarians are coming!, by Daniel Kosacki
My very first twine story! This is a story of you saving your village from a bunch of meanspirited barbarians. A bunch of stuff happens in the middle as well. The humor is weird and the story even weirder still, so it's not for everyone...

Sabbatical Report Presentation, by Gower
This is my required report to the full faculty in accordance with the rules noted in the Faculty Handbook (version 15.1, as of October 2017)

Winter Storm Draco, by Ryan Veeder
A chronicle of the events of the winter storm of the same name.

Foo Foo appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

Best fairytale/nursery rhyme games by MathBrush
A selection of fairy tale games, nursery rhyme games, or games involving the Fair Folk.

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

The following polls include votes for Foo Foo:

I'm looking for mysteries. by MCCLUTCH32
I like a game with a good story, good puzzles that aren't too difficult to understand and a good mystery. I was thinking more along the lines of horror, but murder mysteries work as well.

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Games of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual PCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Lance Campbell on 17 May 2020 at 8:52pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item