Iamb(ici)

by Jo Lourdez

Welcome to The Poetic Platform! Here, you can share, give feedback and view original poetry from and with other users. Rest assured that here at The Poetic Platform, we take your intellectual property seriously and that it is our highest priority to protect all original works from plagiarism as well as malicious commentary that could potentially damage a user's credibility. We hope you enjoy your time here at The Poetic Platform!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: C6D6772F-579B-4214-8EBF-BA289D6F761F
TUID: bvqxkcnet4qhxwtj

40th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

These Heterogenous Tasks
IF Comp 2019: iamb ici
iamb(ici) (Jo Lourdez, Twine) is a game set in the chatrooms of a poetry website.

Most immediately, itís an idealised portrait of an online art community. The most prominent features: trolls are promptly dealt with; people are generally warm and welcoming to newcomers; and there is a heavy focus on improving artistic craft and on workshopping. Most of your choices are about how you present yourself in this space.

A game about being online, December 2, 2019

It took me a shameful amount of time to recognize the wordplay in this entryís title, but now I understand and I am here for it.

I did a quick playthrough as hoeforpoe and I thought it was a competent entry. The chat exchanges felt like real transcripts between people online. And they were applied sparingly; I appreciated that the game provided summaries of the discussions instead of trying to simulate lengthy poetry workshops.

On my second playthrough, I hit a blank screen and wondered whether I was doing it right ó was there much interactivity in this story, and could I influence how it unfolded?

Then I opened up the walkthrough to see whether I had missed anything. OMFG, I did.

So, strong fiction, strong interactivity, and bonus points for adding interactive elements that played with the fourth wall. It was my own fault that I missed these features on my first two attempts.

Several Roads Not Taken, December 1, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)

Iím an old fuddy duddy for sure so I definitely wasnít digging a game that entails almost entirely watching users chat on-line using text-speak, even if the setting of on-line poetry forums was intriguing. The game has an odd way of scoring: the poetry forum ranks you based on your characterís ability to write poetry; however, you the player are scored on how you treat others in the forum. I would have loved to have been given a chance to create some poetry of my own, but I was relegated to choosing my demeanor and letting the talking heads play it out. For the most part you donít actually see any poetry, just usernames talking about hypothetical poetry they enjoyed writing together.

That said, this game is pretty fun technically as it uses various screen prompts to check for viruses and allow you to download files. And the true ending (the one I received on my first playthrough) was a neat, sentimental twist. However, I had little desire to find all nine endings, primarily because I found a game crashing bug on my third playthrough which didnít motivate me to keep clicking on all the possibilities.

Immerse yourself in a world of poetry users, and maybe find a special one, October 4, 2019

In this game, you play as a new user on a poetry forum. You select from 3 usernames of varying respectability (and they all get commented on). You can then join 4 or so different chat workshops.

Each one has different characters, all reminding me of real-life forum members: the rude ones, the funny ones, the cute ones.

I got the Kanojo ending, which I enjoyed. The game's not too long, but it's replayable and its length suits its purpose.

I didn't feel strongly emotionally invested, but it's polished, descriptive, has good interactivity and I would (and did) play it more than once.

If you enjoyed Iamb(ici)...