Play Online
Glulx Story File
Release 3
Shufflecomp Disc 2 Download
Contains Molly and the Butter Thieves.gblorb
Competition versions of all entries in Shufflecomp: Disc 2.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Map and Walkthrough

Molly and the Butter Thieves

by Alice Grove (as Cosmic Hamster) profile

You are Molly Butterfield, dairy farmer extraordinaire. In the past week there have been two mysterious butter disappearances from your own kitchen.

There will not be a third.

Molly and the Butter Thieves was written for ShuffleComp: Disc 2.

First Publication Date: May 7, 2015
IFIDs:  05958F54-404B-4382-B5C1-7655187BB2DE
40A25790-3C8A-4175-86F9-6100CC414723
2936F255-478A-48B4-BE25-9EF09D9810C8
TUID: ar5x88sqx6qvef7g

Commended - ShuffleComp: Disc 2

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Wonderful short fantasy game with compelling writing and interesting format, July 19, 2020
This was one of most vivid games I have played. The story reminded me of some of my favorite books I read as a teenager. I'd rather not spoil any of it here, though.

The implementation was very interesting, using a combination of standard inform commands and keywords for conversation.

The puzzles were simple, and written in such a way that you always knew what you should be trying to do, even if you hadn't figured out how to do it yet. The game seemed thoroughly tested, with multiple endings.

I'm giving the game 4 stars instead of 5 purely because of length. As a shufflecomp game, it is among the very best I have seen.

A tasty parser tidbit in fairyland, November 11, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: sanguine
Someone - or something - has been stealing your butter and you, dairy farmer extraordinaire, are going to find out who.

Molly and the Butter Thieves is a well-designed, lovely game drawing on fairy mythology: there's the insubstantial but beautiful fairy castle; there's the thieving, mischievous, capricious fairies themselves.

There are some noteworthy design decisions - the first being the FOLLOW command, which allows you to follow NPCs, and a nifty trick which (Spoiler - click to show)allows you to wander around only in places the NPC leads you. This creates the feeling of messiness, of space, without having to implement every single bit of it.

Similar to The Warbler's Nest, content-wise, Molly and the Butter Thieves has relatively small game locations (i.e. number of rooms) and the actions the player needs to do to progress are clearly stated. Where The Warbler's Nest turns dark, though, Molly and the Butter Thieves keeps light, by keeping the stakes relatively low - it's more about protecting what's yours rather than rooting out an unwanted visitor in your home. Despite its brevity, there are still sufficient interactions with NPCs and environmental details to make it feel like a small slice of a vibrant world.

This game puts a smile on my face!, December 2, 2019
by Rovarsson (Belgium)
"Molly and the Butter Thieves" is truly a joy to play.

Vividly described, well-implemented. Some easy, fun puzzles to get you more involved in the story, what's more to want?

What? Oh, yes. Beautiful, beautiful imagery. Plenty of that too.

This game is fun!

And it's called "Molly and the Butter Thieves"!

If you enjoyed Molly and the Butter Thieves...