Trusting My Mortal Enemy?! What a Disaster!

by Storysinger Presents

Comedy

When a hero & a villain start planning their battles over coffee, they come to trust each other more than they ever expected.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: 460A01AA-5A63-4163-A093-E66A77593CBE
TUID: abtnuoohtr0avxal

62nd Place - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Enemies-to-best-friends?, October 24, 2020
by autumnc
Related reviews: ifcomp 2020

The premise of "enemies-to-lovers" is a common one in fanfiction, and that's what this story reminded me of. Except the main characters here don't explicitly become lovers, but rather best friends, or something like that.

TMMEWaD is the story of a superhero, Lightbringer, and a supervillain, Promethium, who have been long-time enemies in a city. But then... Lightbringer invites Promethium to a coffee shop to plan out their future battles. The latter accepts, wanting to escape jail and a likely death sentence.

The story alternates between the perspectives of Lightbringer and Promethium, and gives the player choices for both characters. All of the meaningful choices are presented as trust exercises: does the hero trust the villain, and vice versa? Picking trusting choices gets the “good” ending, while picking distrustful choices gets the “bad” ending (I only got the good ending and haven’t seen the bad ending). Sometimes there are other choices, but I think those are mostly cosmetic choices.

Overall, I thought the writing was good, especially the ways the characters would interact, but I would have liked a bit more characterization. It was not really clear to me why Promethium was a villain, except some vague description of fighting against the injustices of the world (which injustices? why would she care? how did she come to see the world like that?). Or why Lightbringer became a hero. But maybe none of that really matters? Also the story felt a bit slow to me at times.

Sometimes, the text was rather difficult to read because the background color and text color were too similar. There was one typo at the very end I think, where Lightbringer introduces Promethium to her daughter as Diana.

(Interestingly this one of at least two stories in this ifcomp with a female enemies-to-lovers storyline; the other is about a vampire).

Heartwarming story about two adversaries learning to view each other differently, October 6, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: 1-2 hours

This one is right on the edge of being a 4-star game for me. So very close, but I just couldn't quite pull the trigger on it. Consider it the best of all the 3-star games that I've played as of IFComp 2020.

This story seems very linear, though I've only played it once, with choice really only allowed at the most pivotal moments. It would work really well as a visual novel as it seems to fit that genre: comic book-style hero vs. villain. You get to see the story play out from both of their perspectives as they stop fighting and start trusting each other.

The writing is above average, but could use a little more polish. The presentation of the text I think also needs so work, as several times during rapid-fire dialogue I would get confused as to which character was speaking. Perhaps more indentation and a few "said" tags at times would alleviate this. Also, despite not having much choice, there was a lot of clicking involved. You don't get much of the story before you have to click some of the text to flip the page. I started to replay it right after finishing it, but all the clicking to just get to the first choice made me decide to save a second playthrough for another time. Perhaps the text is kept short so as to not obscure the backgrounds (what appear to be stock images used to represent the various locations). While I did appreciate the backgrounds to help aid in establishing the setting, perhaps after the opening line of a scene the text could then be displayed in larger chunks. I also think it would be wonderful if the studio was able to get custom art of each of the settings, though I realize that is expensive.

I think the story was just a bit too long, it probably could have had one less (Spoiler - click to show)coffee shop -> house -> lair -> battle cycle and still had the same impact. Also, the ending I got, one of the "good" ones, I think just barely didn't stick the landing. It was satisfying, but I had the feeling it could have been a bit more.

Sorry if this review seems overly negative, I don't mean it to be. Most of my criticisms are small and perhaps picking at nits too much. I really liked this story and the characters especially. I felt the mood change between them (especially from Promethium's perspective) and my heart warmed with theirs. I also felt the tension at the moments it felt like it all might unravel. The lesson to be learned from the characters is also an important one for this day and age.

Well done! I look forward to playing this again one day and to the next project to come out of the Storysinger studio.

A Great Game, December 1, 2020
by Ann Hugo (Canada)

I'm not big on superhero stuff. And yet, I quite liked this game. The graphics were cool and I was fond of the characters. I wasn't expecting the multiple perspectives, but I actually rather liked how that was done. I'm typically not keen on stories with multiple perspectives. I think that's probably because it's trickier to develop multiple characters in the way you do with a protagonist. Furthermore, the story was interesting, kept me wondering and engaged.

In conclusion, this is a great game. If I was more into superhero stuff, there's a good chance I'd have gone with 5 stars. Definitely would recommend it.

If you enjoyed Trusting My Mortal Enemy?! What a Disaster!...

People who like Trusting My Mortal Enemy?! What a Disaster! also gave high ratings to these games:

Mean Mother Trucker, by Bitter Karella
Big Ester is a mean mother trucker about to take her big rig down The Devil’s Taint, the most treacherous stretch of mountain road on the whole trucking circuit... but first she’s got to win the heart of the truck stop waitress who makes...

Ex Nihilo, by Juhana Leinonen
In the beginning there was nothing. From nothing light and darkness were born.

A Day for Soft Food, by Tod Levi
"Ever since the provider's sickness began, he's been all hisses and growls. Even the slightest misstep seems to annoy him. Perhaps that's why your bowl has held nothing but hard food lately. And not much of that." [--blurb from...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by JTN on 9 December 2020 at 7:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item