Dead Pavane for a Princess

by Emily Boegheim profile

2013

You are Maurice Ravel, the noted composer. You must find a way to escape from your study, for your poor friend now your zombified ex-friend Claude Debussy lurks outside!

First Publication Date: October 31, 2013
IFID: 4BC8AC52-41DF-11E3-829C-0015E9327CF1
TUID: a4nv3q9ne0q8e7z

5th Place - Ectocomp 2013

Demons of the Night, or Zombie Debussy Will Eat Your Brains, January 5, 2014
by E.K.
Related reviews: ectocomp

This is a great little one-room game for Ectocomp '13. You play noted composer Maurice Ravel - the title is a play on his 'Pavane for a Dead Princess' - fleeing from a zombified Claude Debussy. The conceit itself is excellent, and the writing is tight and witty.

The puzzles are straightforward and intuitive, though somewhat on the easy side. My only real complaint is that it is just too short. Although it could stand alone as it is as a five-minute diversion, I personally hope that the author takes the constraints of the Ectocomp as simply a beginning, and fleshes out (no pun intended) the game into a fuller story and world.

Tiny escape game with Impressionist classical musicians, August 11, 2020
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: sanguine

Escape the zombie form of Debussy! Technically, a survival thriller; in practice, comedic horror. You can be done in 5 moves, and you might appreciate it more if you knew a little about Ravel or Debussy, but you don't need to, to enjoy it. Short and sweet.

A short speedIF about Ravel and their zombified friend, June 24, 2016

This was an ectocomp game where most of the time seems to have been spent on a charming setting. You are Maurice Ravel, and your friend Debussy has been zombified.

The writing is very descriptive, and I didn't encounter any bugs. The game is quite short, with just a puzzle or two. As a speed-IF, this is a decorative gem.

Recommended for fans of great settings or the impressionistic period.

If you enjoyed Dead Pavane for a Princess...

People who like Dead Pavane for a Princess also gave high ratings to these games:

Afflicted, by Doug Egan
This isn't the safest neighborhood. A young woman was abducted near here only recently. But as a city sanitarian you are obligated to complete your annual inspection of the local dive. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

When I Was Shot By Elephants III, by Ray
A tribute to NOM3RCY's unfinished trilogy, this story tells what really happened when i was shot by elephants.

9 Secret Steps, by mathbrush
A hypertext fiction based on the They Might Be Giants song of the same name. Choose what to sacrifice as you enter a mystic society. Play time less than 15 minutes. Three endings.

Dead Pavane for a Princess appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for November 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, November 23, 2018, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Zape on 11 April 2021 at 7:14pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item