Creatures Such As We

- TheAncientOne, August 27, 2016

- Herman van Wietmarschen (Driebergen, the Netherlands), August 5, 2016

- kala (Finland), August 1, 2016

A convincing essay on game theory camouflaged as romantic CYOA, July 21, 2016

Having played through Mass Effect 3 again recently, I could not help but view "Creatures" as a commentary on that game, and in particular on the discussions revolving around its ending. I did not check if that is even possible, but in any case: "Creatures" covers a lot of game theory relevant to ME 3, like whether players or authors should decide a games ending, how romance should be portrayed in games, the meaning of self-sacrifice, whether games should mirror life or rather provide means of escape, etc.

This is all packed into a well paced story on the PCs moon adventure with the designers of their favorite game, including that game as game within the game.

So why is "Creatures" not five stars for me? I think it lacks a bit on the game side of things. Most choices I really had to think about concerned my opinion on the game theory questions mentioned above. The choices regarding the actual plot seemed a bit bland in comparison, even though the story itself is quite compelling.

That caveat aside, in my opinion anyone even remotely interested in game design (and romance!) should play "Creatures Such As We".

- eyeballkidable, July 17, 2016

- kybrsmith, June 23, 2016

- Aselia, May 13, 2016

- Matt Bates, May 10, 2016

- zylla, May 1, 2016

- Artran (Prague, Czech Republic), April 18, 2016

- Brendan Patrick Hennessy (Toronto, Ontario), March 24, 2016

Not even the appearance of choice, March 24, 2016

At one point, you are asked to choose between different ways of instructing people to operate telescopes. You are not told the advantages and disadvantages of each, neither before or after. None of your choices make any difference.

Creatures Such As We is a story about someone who has a crush on a generic video game character. He is upset because there is a obviously scripted fight at the end and a boring ending. The game in question is said to be otherwise be good.

At one point, you can complain about female representation in video games. The main character is having trouble telling the difference between games and reality. The other characters feel this is perfectly normal.

Creatures Such As We is a story about games written by someone who has never played one.

- Hannah Powell-Smith, February 4, 2016