Miss No-Name

by Bellamy Briks

A really popular kid is trying to find out the name of the mysterious girl that sits in the front of the class. Your goal is to help him achieve this! Or risk his life trying

First Publication Date: April 2, 2021
IFID: 612890CB-9D76-4C9E-8A2D-346C00759FBA
TUID: 8b5aolcskw2gopen

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2021

Breezy and good-natured, April 10, 2021
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2021

So this is the second entry from Bellamy Briks, and in a completely different development system (this oneís Twine, while Heroes! was Quest), which shows some impressive versatility. Though the settings are also quite distinct Ė weíre in a contemporary high school, not fairytale high fantasy Ė the vibe is once again high-energy and enthusiastic. This extends to the appealing visual presentation, which is all bright color and emphatic text effects (no drawings this time), as well as the prose, which is again appealingly bubbly. Structurally speaking, Miss No-Name isnít a time cave and is actually fairly linear, though there are a couple of branches depending on your choices, and seven different endings; since itís a short game, itís easy to reach all of them, and while there are maybe only really three distinctly different ways the story can wind up, itís zippy enough that I was glad to be a completionist.

Itís hard to talk too much about the story without spoiling it Ė the setup is that youíre the coolest kid in school, and youíve taken a bet to learn the name of the mysterious new girl who just enrolled mid-year. For the most part this plays out about how youíd expect, with your choices either offering different strategies to pursue your goal, or giving you the option of having the main character stick to the bet or start to develop a real friendship with Miss No-Name. While thereís the possibility of a couple of different twists depending on how you play things, the game doesnít have anything especially surprising in story Ė but thatís OK. Its strengths are using breezy prose (I loved all the little asides about how cool of a guy the main character is) to create a fun, relaxing mood, rather than in ratcheting up high drama. The mystery of Miss No-Name is mostly an excuse to hang out in this pleasant world, which is no bad thing.

A charming short Twine game with many endings, April 6, 2021

This game is short but has a lot of different branches. It's not really a time cave, since some branches come together, so it's interesting.

There's a girl at your school who is icy-cold and intimidates teachers to keep them from saying her name. Therefore, no one knows it, so you take a bet to find out.

There are a lot of paths, most resembling cute high school movie tropes.

I liked the game; the writing was cute, the characters charming. The backstory seems a bit sad but relatable. I always felt that writing a game is like sharing a bit of your soul with others, and reading/playing that game is a way of honoring and accepting that.

I guess my main drawback for the game is that it mostly amounts to guessing what each action will do, and I wish there was a way to puzzle it out more; but that's just me and not everyone may feel that way.

Needs one more thing, April 3, 2021

The premise of this game is pretty zany, and I enjoyed that. But I wanted a little something more after (Spoiler - click to show)getting the "true ending" and learning her name.

The About screen has a "Spoiler" section that explains the entire plot, to help make sense of it if you're still confused after seeing all of the endings.

(Spoiler - click to show)My feeling is that while the twist ending #5 is surprising, I feel like I wanted to do something more with the discovery. I randomly stumbled across ending #5 fairly early on and explored the rest of the endings using the back button. Some games give you one last "real ending" to discover after you've discovered all of the other endings; I think this game would really benefit from that. Maybe ending #2 could have a variant ending #8 if you've previously seen ending #5, where you ask for her help and she gives you a name, or something like that.

If you enjoyed Miss No-Name...