Under_the_Bridge.zip
Contains IF Comp - Entry/Under the Bridge.html

Under the Bridge

by Samantha Khan

Survive as a monster that has taken up residence underneath a bridge, interact with strangers who pass over your bride and see if you can not only survive the encounters, but create a home for yourself.

Content warning: Content warning: Violence, death, gore, and profanity.

TUID: 4fuu5h6wldw7sz4w

17th Place - tie - 28th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2022)

Survival of the Creepiest, November 5, 2022

In Under the Bridge youíre a (small) eldritch abomination, one of the last of your kind, and youíve taken shelter under a bridge in a forest. But bridges bring humans, and if sufficiently frightened humans will bring other humans with swords. (Humans are also delicious. Choices, choices.)

What I Liked

This is a very stylish Twine game! I normally get cranky about white-on-black color schemes (itís not my fault it gives me eye strain!) but in this case it feels like a deliberate design choice instead of an author forgetting to change the default Sugarcube settings. This is backed up by a number of white-on-black illustrations of our monster and the situations it winds up in, which are simultaneously very creepy and absolutely adorable. The background sounds are also 1) togglable and 2) change per node depending on the mood the author wants to set, which is fantastic. Text colors and effects are also used well.

The writing is also a delight here Ė the plot is fairly thin (as expected for a game of this length) so it focuses more on showing events from our monsterís point of view. Writing inhuman protagonists that feel properly inhuman is always a challenge, and I think itís done well here.

What I Didnít

Replayability is hampered by the fact that the early game doesnít change much regardless of your choices. You play through a series of events and your only choices are how to react. The first two events happen roughly the same way each playthrough and significant branching only happens after youíve completed them, which starts to drag after going through the game 2-3 times. Having the undo button present helps, but I would have liked to see more cosmetic variation in the second event or at least a way to skip the intro on subsequent playthroughs.

A pleasantly creepy multimedia experience, October 29, 2022

I'd first like to say that the art, animation, and audio for this game are very well done. I loved the style, and would be happy to see it again; it's unique, I haven't seen other games with the scribbly dark figures.

You play as a dangerous and large being that is hunting for food by a bridge. Humans pass by, and you can decide how to act towards them.

I played through to one positive ending (villager ending 1), but the way the game reacted to my choices made me feel like there were many very different endings. That's pretty cool!

There were some typos here and there (like "One of the small humans'", with an extra apostrophe). Overall, it was fairly brief. But what is here is excellent.

the monster under the bridge finds a home, October 19, 2022
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: IFComp 2022, melancholic

CW: gore, violence

You, the narrator, are the monster under the bridge. Prowling in the night to catch unwary travellers.

There is gore; the narrator is a man-eating monster, after all, but the prose reads almost a nature documentary - not revelling in the gore, but framing it as a necessity.

Little bells and whistles: simple text effects which some might find distracting; hand-drawn illustrations which I quite enjoyed.

This story had clear branching and multiple endings which encourages replay, some endings more unexpected than others.

If you enjoyed Under the Bridge...