SquareCircle.zip *
Contains SquareCircle.t3
solution
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
SquareCircle.t3
competition entry
SquareCircleWebUI.t3
This is the version recompiled in TADS 3.​1 to allow playing on line in web browser.
Play on the Internet with a browser, or download for use with a TADS Web UI-compatible interpreter - visit www.tads.org for interpreter downloads.

Square Circle

by Eric Eve profile

political
2004

What is your crime? Why do you feel both guilty and unjustly punished? What has happened to your memory? How will you draw a square circle and get out of your prison? What will you find then?

Language: English (en-US)
Current Version: 1.1 and 1.3 (web)
Development System: TADS 3
Forgiveness Rating: Nasty
IFIDs:  TADS3-32FEF414A7C4EABC609099CE9B8A11CA
TADS3-241F7129E355899F9BD8A2986695CD8B
TUID: 003iydfj1747amj8

5th Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

Nominee, Best Puzzles - 2004 XYZZY Awards

>VERBOSE -- Paul O'Brian's Interactive Fiction Page

Square Circle suffers from being oversized for a comp game -- not heinously so, but I think I was only about 75% through when the two-hour bell rang. So that'll hurt its rating with me. Otherwise, though it's a little unpolished in places, this game offers an intriguing scenario and some enjoyable puzzles, and I recommend it, especially if it sees a revised post-comp edition.

Puzzley and technically strong, with unfortunate infodumps, September 13, 2015
by verityvirtue (London)
You are a prisoner for a crime you don't remember committing, and your only chance of escape is to draw a square circle.

Kafkaesque is a word many have used to describe this game, and indeed a sense of claustrophobia pervades the entire escape attempt. The writing is solid and sometimes witty; most visible objects were implemented. It was, however, marred for me with imperfect line breaks and the occasional "infodump".

Balance between story and puzzles was probably a tough call here. There is plenty of both, which provides for a rich playing experience, but the delivery of major plot points was often delivered as an uninterrupted chunk of text. Reading the 'infodump' like that broke the flow of the story and, for me, lessened the impact of the most major twists. The puzzles were well-hinted with contextual hints, and there are multiple solutions to some of the puzzles. Despite this, the puzzles are not easy. For me, solutions weren't immediately obvious and I often referred to the hints. I found it hard to find that moment of enlightenment when solving the puzzles, partly because there wasn't enough material with which I could experiment. Also, it seems to be possible to put the game into an unwinnable state, probably meriting its Nasty rating on the Forgiveness scale.

Conversation in Square Circle also merits some mention, with most topics of conversation given an appropriate response. As with Blighted Isle, Eve also includes some natural-sounding responses to topics for which the NPCs do not have an answer - a thoughtful, and also playful, gesture.

Square Circle is technically strong, with a well-thought-out story and interesting puzzles. There is a good twist towards the end, and perhaps could adopt a more strongly consistent tone, but well worth playing.

A well-developed and smooth game about paradox and oppresion, February 3, 2016
Square Circle has many of the best parts of an Eric Eve game. Great NPCs and conversation, an expansive map that doesn't need too much mapping, a large number of items, and smooth writing.

The plot wasn't as compelling as other Eric Eve games, but it was still pretty good. You are put in prison, your memory erased, until you can make a 'square circle'.

The solution to this puzzle was unexpected to me, and I used a hint, but it was fun. What was much more fun, however, was the psychological drama that unfolded for the rest of the game.

This game was well-regarded for its puzzles, and I found them fun as well. I prefer Nightfall, Blighted Isle, and All Hope Abandone by Eve to this game, but it is still a very good game.

Recommended for everyone.

Featured on Radio K #6, January 17, 2016
by Adam Cadre (Albany, California)
Clare Parker Fischer and I discuss Square Circle at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AavlyjzrSM#t=31m51s

If you enjoyed Square Circle...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Square Circle, or gave both high ratings:

Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin
A vacation in our lovely country! See the ethnic charms of the countryside, the historic grandeur of the capital city. Taste our traditional cuisine; smell the flowers of the Old Tree. And all without leaving your own armchair! But all...

Speed Demons, by Pleroma
A short twine game about loss, disconnection, barriers, and the systematic shattering of all three with those most human of tools: whatever there is to hand. Three paths, 9 endings, and hopefully quite a bit of detail still to be seen...

The Chicken Under the Window, by Lucian P. Smith
"A pastiche of sorts of The Space Under the Window. Get the chicken across the road." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Square Circle appears in the following Recommended Lists:

The People's Revolutionary Game List by verityvirtue
Games set in dystopias inspired by the Soviet Union. Often involves bureaucracy, wrongful imprisonment and revolution. Suggestions welcome.

Faves~ by dacharya64
My favorite IF games of all time, as I've played 'em.

Great religious and mythological games by MathBrush
My "Best Fantasy" list was growing too big, so I'm splitting off the religious, mythological, and afterlife games. Some games like Curses! have a lot of religious and mythological references, but this list focuses on games where it's the...

The following polls include votes for Square Circle:

Games with misleading titles by Cendare
I was thinking about "Nothing But Mazes" and how it, in fact, contains things that aren't mazes. What other games have titles that don't quite reflect what's inside?

A Poll About ... A Poll About ... Hm. That's Funny. I Can't Recall. by Ghalev
As of the founding of this poll, the IFDB has only seven games with the "amnesia" tag. I don't buy that for an instant. Please vote for games where the player-protagonist-person is dealing with a bout of forgetfulness (usually about who...

Dystopia by dacharya64
I love dystopian fiction, and after playing Square Circle, I decided I had to see if there were other dystopian tales in the IF-verse.

This is version 9 of this page, edited by cas on 5 December 2019 at 12:05am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item