Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
ZIL Source

The Bean Stalker

by Jack Welch

Caught in an economic downturn, can Jack leverage his starving cow and climb the economic ladder?

Estimated playtime: Not long at all.

First Publication Date: January 5, 2018
License: MIT
Development System: ZIL
IFID: 9239F917-500A-41F4-B6A6-5E111F430C15
TUID: vchsmiok2zmrsnze

Winner - Eleventh Hour New Year's Minicomp

A short mini-game about Jack and the Beanstalk using ZIL, April 28, 2018

This game was written as a learning sample of the ZIL language. It was written over just a few days.

As such, it is small and lean. But Welch has managed to put a few clever puzzles in.

I was unable to solve this without a walkthrough the first time I tried it. After the walkthrough, which is very detailed, I felt like the game required a number of fairly mean actions, but with suitable rewards.

I find this game most interesting as an example of the ZILF language. I wonder how many of the standard responses were hand-coded, and how many part of the language.

If you enjoyed The Bean Stalker...

People who like The Bean Stalker also gave high ratings to these games:

Swineback Ridge, by Eric Eve

Hallowmoor, by Mike Snyder
Your quest: infiltrate Castle Hallowmoor, find the potion, and make it out alive. This is a Halloween-themed adventure -- hypertext interactive fiction playable in most modern web browsers.

Deadline, by Marc Blank
Twelve hours to solve the mystery. One false move, and the killer strikes again. It's been called "part of the latest craze in home computing (TIME magazine), an "amazing feat of programming" (THE NEW YORK TIMES) and the "Best Adventure...

The following polls include votes for The Bean Stalker:

Games with Trump-like (antagonist) characters by Andrew Schultz
While we want to put something like Trump behind us, it's not easy. Humor can help. So can comparing him to a historical villain. I'm interested in other efforts that have a clearly Trump-ish character in them, whether skewering his...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Zape on 28 January 2020 at 7:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item