tide.zip
Contains tide.gam
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

The Ebb and Flow of the Tide

by Peter Nepstad profile

Part of Tales of Wonder
Literary/Fantasy
2006

You have done a horrible thing, so horrible that burial will be denied you, either in soil or sea, neither can there be any hell for you. You wait for some hours, knowing this. Then your friends come for you, and slay you secretly and with ancient rite, and light great tapers, and carry you away.

First Publication Date: December 16, 2006
Development System: TADS 2
IFID: TADS2-7968CB10E664DC07FD49ED54B80039BF
TUID: yqyg7ktxrt53wrfa

SPAG

The Ebb and Flow of the Tide is a memorable game, not least due to the efforts
of the game author. The Dunsany tale is a somewhat chilling dream sequence but
ultimately of little import; Mr. Nepstad's interpretation gave it life and
immediacy.

W. Doug Bolden

A strange, evocative short quasi-horror IF very much in tune with the mix of horror and myth and dream-fantasy that Lord Dunsany is known for. Very closely follows the original story and works out as a massively different type of game.

A unique game based on a Lord Dunsany story, August 15, 2017

This game is perhaps best left undescribed, as its core mechanic is so unusual. It helps to type ABOUT or (I think) COMMANDS.

The story is based off an old Dunsany Story, just like Nepstad's The Journey of the King. But this game is much more constrained than that one.

I would have rated the game higher if I hadn't been stuck so many times, trying to search for the correct commands to advance the game.

If you enjoyed The Ebb and Flow of the Tide...

People who like The Ebb and Flow of the Tide also gave high ratings to these games:

Toonesia, by Jacob Weinstein
From the introduction: "Oooh, that rascally rabbit! You were out hunting him when he somehow got the jump on you, blindfolded you, and dumped you into a cell. Well, you’ll show him. He’ll be hasenpfefer by dinner tonight, or your name...

Light Of My Stomach, by David Fletcher
This is an unusual story where you play as the primary lightbulb of the John Quincy Adams Gastrodome, but also as Bob Bobkins, competative eater. What secrets is Garry, Bob's opponent in the eating contest, hiding?

Summit, by Phantom Williams
A dream-like journey through a drifting life. Headphones recommended.

The following polls include votes for The Ebb and Flow of the Tide:

Games that are adaptations of conventional (not CYOA) books by ChrisM
I'm interested in games that are straightforward adaptations of conventional books (probably novels, but I'd be interested to know if there are any non-fiction book adaptations). The ones that I know of are The Famous Five and The...

No Mazes, please! by AndyC
I am a returning player to IF (which I loved 30 years ago) having recently discovered the fantastic Frotz for the iPad. Looking at some of the old games again has really blown me away. I don't enjoy drawing maps but I love reading good...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Peter Nepstad on 2 February 2009 at 11:34pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item