The Wizard Sniffer

- Kastel, April 25, 2023

- clearthill, April 24, 2023

- ilyu, April 5, 2023

It just kept getting better., April 2, 2023
by egostat (1st Level, Abyss)

I adore the characters, all the twists, and all the interactions. This was possibly one of the text adventures in which I became most attached to its characters—Tuck especially. It's difficult writing this review without any spoilers, but it was a pleasant surprise playing through this, even if my awkward clown brain couldn't figure out what to do next quickly enough at times. It took a while for me to get used to the frustration of not being able to do much by myself due to my form as a pig. The side romance is very cute, by the way. And the ending is unbearably cute. (Spoiler - click to show)Unfortunately rest in war, Ser...

Excellent, March 15, 2023

By far the best game I've played. Was quite stuck at the machine puzzle and had to rely on the transcript. Otherwise, the in-game hints were sufficient. The twist was unexpected (perhaps because I was too engrossed in solving the puzzles), but it blew me away. This was one game I could do without a map. Five stars because it has done very well in both narrative and game design. Thank you!

- edrex, February 26, 2023

- civilstat (Maine, USA), May 5, 2022

- oceow, February 13, 2022

- LowBan, January 12, 2022

Humor nose no bounds , December 23, 2021

The Wizard Sniffer is a light-hearted, hilarious romp that subverts just about every fairy tale trope. The puzzles are engaging without being too difficult, and the hint mechanism is quite clever. The ending is very satisfying, and makes me wish for a sequel!

- morat, December 12, 2021

- Cryptic Puffin, November 6, 2021

Unique, intriguing, and hilarious, October 20, 2021
by mg51
Related reviews: five stars, limited verbs

This is one of the most entertaining IF games I've played, period. The story isn't overly complicated but it's never boring, and while the "twist" (Spoiler - click to show)that the pig is the princess didn't take me long to figure out, that didn't detract from the experience at all, as enough hints are dropped later in the game that it shouldn't be a surprise by the time it's revealed.

The gist of the game is that you're playing as a pig, and because of that, you are very limited in what you can personally do and need to manipulate the NPCs around you in order to navigate the world. It makes for a completely different kind of gameplay experience and puzzles that are entirely unlike those you find in standard IF games. I enjoyed it immensely.

The characters were a charming mix of standard archetypes and subversions of those same archetypes (Spoiler - click to show)(the brave but dimwitted knight, the cowardly but reliable squire, the evil sorcerer, and the vain prince) and I found myself somewhat invested in their stories. (Spoiler - click to show)I especially enjoyed Tuck and Tristain's awkward friendship, as it defied both hetero and homosexual romantic cliches.

As far as difficulty, this game was on the easier side, but it wasn't so simple that it detracted from my experience personally. I think it is a good game for beginners or players who might often rely on guides and hints to finish games.

TL;DR: Wizard Sniffer is charming, engaging, funny, and doesn't require a huge time commitment. I loved it.

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page