Play online at sub-Q

Heretic Dreams

by Hannah Powell-Smith profile

They would call what you did heresy.

No one knows you swallowed the power of a god, but it will break you apart.

First Publication Date: March 29, 2016
TUID: trtcqmihmvqpgsoj

Survival and betrayal in a frozen wasteland, March 23, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic

You are a pathfinder, responsible for the survival of this ragtag group by determining where they should go next. But this ability, this gift - it threatens to tear you apart as well, because you arenít quite what people think you are.

In Heretic Dreams, you must challenge your changing nature, and decide whether humanity is a source of strength or a necessary obstacle. Heretic Dreams is not quite survival story, not quite horror, although there are elements of both. It feels like distant footsteps on freshly fallen snow; like dark clouds congealing on the horizon promising thunder.

Do you lure trouble away with yourself or stick together? Is it possible to get out of this unscathed? Itís hard to tell. Nonetheless, the narratorís position within their community and their proximity to the leader gives your choices a sense of impact.

A well-written, grim story about leading your community to the promise of a better land.

., October 1, 2016

A darkly atmospheric twine game about a cult. It's a short survival story about a person who tries to escape from the horrific disasters created by a vengeful god. I also think the character might have powers or had powers due to some sort of betrayal against god. I got something like an X-Men vibe, the cult thing in 1Q84, and something like The Giver? (What really bad comparisons.) But the prose of this game is quite lovely and the game is intimate despite its doomed ending. It holds onto you until the flames eat you.

Pros: original and dark game about a cult.
Cons: Mmm. None I can think of.

A fantasy narrative about a vengeful God, March 30, 2016

This Sub-Q game is by a great author, Hannah Powell-Smith. In this Twine game, you play a character (which I interpreted as a woman) fleeing from the influence of a vengeful God. You have to deal with a variety of disasters and help those you love.

I only played once, so I don't know how much your choices affect the outcome, but I had the impression of making big choices, and I liked that.

The link presentation was slightly unusual, with some in-line links and some links presented as a menu at important choice points, but I felt that this was effective in promoting the feeling that my choices mattered.

Overall, well written and designed. I recommend it.

If you enjoyed Heretic Dreams...