Nineteen

by Elizabeth Sampat

2013

This is pretty different. I heard about the tragic suicide of Aaron Swartz last spring and made this game in ten hours. It loops around a lot; thereís some debate over what the ending of the game is, I guess, but my point is that thereís not an ending.

When I was twelve, I tried to kill myself. Iíve dealt with depression my whole life, but that was the last time I succumbed to suicidal ideation. Itís been nineteen years. This game discusses a lot of things pretty franklyó completed suicide attempts of friends, being rushed to the ER, using Christianity to prop up my self-discipline for a while, my fears for my children.

You can argue whether or not this is a GAME, I guess, but itís definitely me.

TUID: sq8opmtldyye3iq

If you enjoyed Nineteen...

People who like Nineteen also gave high ratings to these games:

The Soft Rumor of Spreading Weeds, by Porpentine Charity Heartscape
The art of dying properly. In the garden empire, a sovereign's heart is a stubborn weed. (set in the With Those We Love Alive universe)

A Courier's Tale, by SJ Griffin
It's the near-future. You are a bike messenger in a city that's half flooded but still mananging to stay afloat despite economic collapse. It's your first week at Packet, the best courier company in the city. You think maybe if you play...

Red, by Thomas Insel
"Don't forget," your mother said, "your Granny's arthritis has been acting up since the weather last week. She's been in bed since Thursday. I need you to take her this basket first thing. When you get back, you can play Nintendo or...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by autumnc on 12 March 2021 at 8:16am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item