PataNoir

- gattociao, September 13, 2023

- Ms. Woods, July 26, 2023

- thesleuthacademy, March 9, 2023

A metamorphical scheme, January 6, 2023
by Lance Cirone (Backwater, Vermont)

(Adapted from an intfiction.org post)

You are Douglas Reilly, a detective for hire. One day, you receive a notice from the Baron: his daughter, Lisa von Bulow, has run away with a no-good scumbag named Erik McAllister. Itís up to you and your trusty servant Wesson to find Lisa, ensure her safety, and maybe even convince her that she can do better. And so begins PataNoir!

PataNoir's main appeal is that itís based on similes. Places you explore will be littered with descriptions that mention similes: hard like a brick, cold like ice, sharp as a knife. And itís up to you to figure out what to do with that brick, ice, and knife. The few real-world objects you collect usually cannot be combined with the simile items, but you can apply them to people, such as putting marble on someoneís face to make them unexpressive. You also have a servant, Wesson, and youíll need his help to accomplish some tasks. Otherwise, you can ask him for a nudge in the right direction. Heís basically the gameís hint system, and I found this helpful and unobtrusive.

Thereís some elements to PataNoir that didnít feel quite right. For one, the parser is simplified so that you can just type an objectís name to interact with it, or ď[object 1] [object 2]Ē to apply something to something else. I realize this might have been done to help people more unfamiliar with IF, but it wouldnít always give me the right action I wanted by default. I found the interactions between the real world and the simile objects kind of inconsistent Ė I initially assumed it was a clear-cut ďtheoretical objects canít affect real world onesĒ, but thereís multiple puzzles that go against this, despite the game telling you otherwise. Thereís also numerous puzzles or items that didnít go anywhere: what was I supposed to do with the (Spoiler - click to show)angry giant, trumpet statue, or old knight and mummies? Thereís no real distinction between something thatís just there for silly flavor text or an integral part of a puzzle. It got a little confusing, but thankfully, Wesson can tell you if you still need to do anything in the room.

I thought the characters and story in this game were simple, but strong. Douglas is a straight-laced detective who never wants his work to get personal, but respects his rules and guidelines. His dialogue with others isnít mind-blowing, but it gives him some nice character. Throughout the game, youíll visit classic noir locales such as a casino, a dirty apartment, and a dingy bar. The plot has a few twists and turns, and it kept me engaged and wanting to play more. Thereís even a bonus scene you can get before the ending if you solve an optional endgame puzzle, which I was satisfied with. I was a bit split on how I felt about the very last scene, though, which shows up no matter which ending you get before; (Spoiler - click to show)I found it a bit depressing at first, but I realize it was foreshadowed well and ultimately doesnít nullify everything youíve done.

Ultimately, I had fun with PataNoir. It never gets too frustrating, thereís no game-breaking bugs and very few chances to get a game over, and the idea of being able to use similes to your advantage is creative and executed well. This isnít one of my favorite IF games, but it captures the genre well, and itís a good time if you want something light.

Was this review helpful to you?   Yes   No   Remove vote