Play Online
Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Lux

by Agnieszka Trzaska profile

You wander around in darkness even though the lights are on.

Sandra is the only one to survive a mysterious attack on a deep space mining station. She is alive, but has lost her vision. Now Sandra must navigate the dangerous, damaged facility and overcome many obstacles, using her wits and the help of Odys, the artificial intelligence.

In Lux, the adventure game, you will explore the expansive space facility, solve puzzles and discover the truth behind the disaster.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
IFID: 4713641F-7E28-45DF-8E06-96E16E2AC58D
TUID: rg7sieqyg1b9rxpt

10th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Solid choice-based puzzlefest, November 23, 2018

Lux is the game that proved to me you can make a solid puzzlefest using a choice-based interface. I imagine there are other strong choice-based and puzzle-focused games out there, but Lux is the first one I have played.

In Lux you are Sandra, the only survivor of an explosion on a research station in space. The explosion has left you blind, and you must navigate through the station with help from the station's AI to reach the command centre and send a distress signal.

In terms of gameplay, you can have one item active in your inventory at any time, and if you have the correct item active for a particular puzzle you'll see additional choice options that will enable you to solve the puzzle. (Detectiveland uses a similar mechanism.) By midgame there are enough inventory items, and the number of choice subtrees is often large enough, that simply selecting every item isn't going to help much in solving a particular puzzle. So you still need to figure out the puzzles - or at least narrow down the possibilities to just a few items.

It's a large game, too. There are five distinct areas of the station, multiple puzzles in each area, and several red herrings. The author's estimate of "longer than two hours" was accurate for my playthrough.

The puzzles are challenging but always logical. Having five distinct sections and having the AI telling you what the goals are in each section are good design choices - they help prevent the player from being overwhelmed in such a large game. The game has achievements as well. I didn't earn all of them, and so I'm guessing some of the objects that I didn't find a use for are actually related to achievements.

Finally, Lux contains my favorite single moment out of all the games in IFComp this year. I won't give it away, but those who have played the game may be able to see what I'm referring to.

I tend to like puzzlers, and I enjoyed Lux.

A long sci-fi Twine game with rich world model and puzzles, March 5, 2019
Related reviews: 2-10 hours

This game is one of the most complex Twine games I've seen.

Rather than focusing on conversation and emotional choices as many Twine games do, this game focuses on inventory management and movement around an extensive map, similar to typical parser gameplay.

This allows for some truly clever puzzles, including a major twist that only occurs in some playthroughs.

Strongly recommended for people looking for old-school puzzles and fans of sci-fi stories about artificial intelligence.

One of the best I've seen by far, May 26, 2020

I really like these interactive stories, especially if they involve escape rooms! Awesome story! I suggest it to anybody willing to try it!

If you enjoyed Lux...