Ectocomp 2014
Contains First Person.gblorb
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

First Person

7th Place - EctoComp 2014

An unsettling parser experiment, June 10, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic

[This game concerns a sadistic kidnapper. Please exercise discretion.]

First Person turns the relationship between the parser and the player on its head, making your interaction with the parser into a dialogue of sorts between a kidnapper and the victim. It's very brief. Details are kept to a minimum, to the point of underimplementation - it sometimes feels more like a proof of concept rather than a full-fledged game that one may be immersed into.

First Person is unsettling once you figure out what's going on, and be warned: there are no happy endings in this one. It's worth playing to figure out what's going on with the parser.

A short horror game with an unusual narrative viewpoint, July 16, 2017

This is an ectocomp game about a confined, frightening story with an unusual viewpoint suggested by the title of the story.

The game does a very good job at splitting up the parser-viewpoint and the player-viewpoint. It's also fairly grim. I enjoyed this game, but as a speed-IF, it had some spotty implementation.

If you enjoyed First Person...

People who like First Person also gave high ratings to these games:

Cragne Manor, by Ryan Veeder, Jenni Polodna, Adam Whybray, Adri, Andrew Plotkin, Andy Holloway, Austin Auclair, Baldur Brückner, Ben Collins-Sussman, Bill Maya, Brian Rushton, Buster Hudson, Caleb Wilson, Carl Muckenhoupt, Chandler Groover, Chris Jones, Christopher Conley, Damon L. Wakes, Daniel Ravipinto, Daniel Stelzer, David Jose, David Petrocco, David Sturgis, Drew Mochak, Edward B, Emily Short, Erica Newman, Feneric, Finn Rosenløv, Gary Butterfield, Gavin Inglis, Greg Frost, Hanon Ondricek, Harkness, Harrison Gerard, Ian Holmes, Ivan Roth, Jack Welch, Jacqueline Ashwell, James Eagle, Jason Dyer, Jason Lautzenheiser, Jason Love, Jeremy Freese, Joey Jones, Joshua Porch, Justin de Vesine, Justin Melvin, Katherine Morayati, Kenneth Pedersen, Lane Puetz, Llew Mason, Lucian Smith, Marco Innocenti, Marius Müller, Mark Britton, Mark Sample, Marshal Tenner Winter, Matt Schneider, Matt Weiner, Matthew Korson, Michael Fessler, Michael Gentry, Michael Hilborn, Michael Lin, Mike Spivey, Molly Ying, Monique Padelis, Naomi Hinchen, Nate Edwards, Petter Sjölund, Q Pheevr, Rachel Spitler, Reed Lockwood, Reina Adair, Riff Conner, Roberto Colnaghi, Rowan Lipkovits, Sam Kabo Ashwell, Scott Hammack, Sean M. Shore, Shin, Wade Clarke, Zach Hodgens, Zack Johnson
A tribute to Anchorhead.

Desolation, by Earth Traveler
You barely escaped your pursuers as you ran from the mansion. Now you must survive a vast, trackless desert with no food or water, and escape the grasp of a demonic cult... Written as a sequel to "Two braids girl", which was not written...

Arrival, or Attack of the B-Movie Clichés, by Stephen Granade

First Person appears in the following Recommended Lists:

New walkthroughs for February 2022 by David Welbourn
On Friday, February 25, 2022, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 26 February 2022 at 3:08am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item