The Elysium Enigma

- Venya (Olalla, WA, US), May 30, 2011

- MKrone (Harsleben), May 4, 2011

- Felix Pleșoianu (Bucharest, Romania), March 18, 2011

Sci-fi meet Amish, March 14, 2011

Im fairly new to Interactive Fiction. Sure, Ive tried Zork and a few other Infocom titles in the past. I grew up with the C64 and Amiga, so I remember trying those games back then. Im Norwegian, so although I could tell these games to be exciting, my english wasnt good enough yet to have any fun with them.

I think I was pretty lucky to try The Elysium Enigma as my first modern IF game. I love the Firefly series, which I think might have been an inspiration for this game.

The game has a dystopian mood almost among the lines of The Road (movie/book), and a grand mystery to unravel.

Its a very compact world for a text adventure. And I like that. I never felt the need to note down a map, and the puzzles were never too taxing.

Im reccomending this game to my friends. Even those that have never tried IFs before.

- Lipa (Slovenia), December 30, 2010

- Bernie (Fredericksburg, VA), December 20, 2010

Excellent Entertainment, November 13, 2010
by Dude (Clarksville, Kentucky)

The Elysium Enigma was a good reintroduction to IF for me, with consistently good writing and an engaging if simple mystery to unravel throughout. This game is plot-based, but not quite as exposition heavy as other such stories.

Interacting with the handful of NPCs is a simple affair, which is good considering the amount of information they have to give. The game uses a 'Topics' command which informs the player exactly how they can interact with characters, which is arguably no less immersive than the average conversation menu.

Puzzles in this game consist mainly of careful reading of room and item descriptions, and examining everything possible for potential clues. Other puzzles are of the 'use x on y' type, but offer multiple solutions to keep the frustration level low. To my knowledge you cannot set the game unwinnable (at least not until the very end) and you can only be killed once in the entire game (which is extremely easy to avoid).

There were a few disappointing aspects to this game; a terrible past secret is hinted at, several times, but ultimately disregarded by the story. A nifty tricorder-ish gadget that ain't. The ending(s) are rather underwhelming. Also, compared to the other two characters the shuttle pilot comes across as redundant, mainly acting as a sounding board for the PC.

Overall, very enjoyable, highly recommended to those looking for a good 'soft' sci-fi adventure that's not too difficult to handle.

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), August 9, 2010