Grandma's Flying Saucer

by Kenneth Pedersen profile

Pleasant Adrift game set in space with economic system, May 10, 2022

This game seems to be set in the universe of Grandpa's Ranch, another game by this author, but with a very different execution. In this game, you go to space!

Your grandma is not dead, as you thought, but rather was captured by interstellar smugglers. She just got free, and needs you to retrieve a diamond. This contrasts with the first game, which was mostly about exploring a small house and doing mundane tasks.

The city in this game is actually pretty sizable, enough that I was glad to have a directions-giving alien hologram (which came in useful in many ways). There's even an economy on the planet, with several steps for gaining money from getting a bank card all the way to buying an enormous treasure.

The biggest place I got stuck was with delivering packages. I kept trying ENTER BUILDING and DELIVER PACKAGE and KNOCK DOOR and OPEN DOOR before discovering what to really do (Spoiler - click to show)(which was touching the sign). Other than that, the game is generous and helpful in guiding the player towards verbs that work.

I played on the web runner, and sometimes you had to TALK TO someone repeatedly. I tried hitting the 'up' key to repeat the last verb, and tried typing G, but neither of those worked. If anyone knows a nice way to repeat the last command in adrift, let me know in the comments!

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

DB, May 11, 2022 - Reply
Not understanding "again" (or "g") and not being able to scroll back through answers appear to be limitations of the WebRunner. Per the banner at the bottom of the screen: "For an improved user experience, please download ADRIFT Runner for your operating system."
MathBrush, May 11, 2022 - Reply
Thanks, that's very helpful!
Previous | << 1 >> | Next