ADRIFT blorb
Defaults - All Systems Application

Grandma's Flying Saucer

by Kenneth Pedersen profile

A flying saucer lands in a field behind Grandpa's Ranch...

This is a family friendly text adventure for beginners.

First Publication Date: May 2, 2022
Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: p8evueig4717wx4

10th Place - Text Adventure Literacy Jam - 2022

Pleasant Adrift game set in space with economic system, May 10, 2022

This game seems to be set in the universe of Grandpa's Ranch, another game by this author, but with a very different execution. In this game, you go to space!

Your grandma is not dead, as you thought, but rather was captured by interstellar smugglers. She just got free, and needs you to retrieve a diamond. This contrasts with the first game, which was mostly about exploring a small house and doing mundane tasks.

The city in this game is actually pretty sizable, enough that I was glad to have a directions-giving alien hologram (which came in useful in many ways). There's even an economy on the planet, with several steps for gaining money from getting a bank card all the way to buying an enormous treasure.

The biggest place I got stuck was with delivering packages. I kept trying ENTER BUILDING and DELIVER PACKAGE and KNOCK DOOR and OPEN DOOR before discovering what to really do (Spoiler - click to show)(which was touching the sign). Other than that, the game is generous and helpful in guiding the player towards verbs that work.

I played on the web runner, and sometimes you had to TALK TO someone repeatedly. I tried hitting the 'up' key to repeat the last verb, and tried typing G, but neither of those worked. If anyone knows a nice way to repeat the last command in adrift, let me know in the comments!

If you enjoyed Grandma's Flying Saucer ...

People who like Grandma's Flying Saucer also gave high ratings to these games:

Truth, by Carl Muckenhoupt (as John Earthling)
Somebody asked you what it really means to be true. Uncertain of how to respond, you have embarked on a quest to find truth!

A Change in the Weather, by Andrew Plotkin
"Walking away from a picnic, you are suddenly caught in a country storm. You must protect a bridge from being destroyed. An ultra-linear game." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

This is the game that I wrote, by David Welbourn
Written for SpeedIF Gruff on Jan. 21, 2006; the theme was fractured fairy tales. Vaguely inspired by "This is the house that Jack built."

This is version 1 of this page, edited by nf on 2 May 2022 at 11:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item