Version 2.0
Zip containing the story file
Contains 77 Verbs.gblorb
As entered into the back garden of Springthing 2020.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Page with story file
As entered into the second Ryan Veeder Exposition, under the title 85 Verbs.

77 Verbs

by MathBrush (as Prismatik) profile

Use every standard verb in the Inform library to escape deadly situations in this introduction to parser games! (This game was formerly known as 85 verbs.)

First Publication Date: March 1, 2020
IFID: EFA17B06-DA2C-4929-B646-1FFE5170948B
TUID: p3rd5133qm5cwfd

2nd Place, Event 3 - Second Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2020

The Gaming Philosopher

The narrative and narration may be a bit chaotic and even absurd, but it is undeniable that 77 Verbs has a personality all its own -- and that's not a bad achievement for a gimmicky piece like this.

Ryan Veeder's Judgment
19.8 points out of 30
The cute concept of this game goes a long way with me. I often amuse myself by trying to design games where I use only Inform 7's default actions; using all of them, apparently each one only one time, is extremely adorable. ...

Textsplaining

I would definitely suggest it for people who want to get into parser, or to show their friends to hopefully get them into it as well.

Fun, referential tutorial, April 5, 2020
by E.K.

This is a cute little game that works very well as an introduction to parser IF. You play a wannabe PC who must escape danger through the use of a range of basic verbs. The writing is fluid and lends a sense of urgency to your endeavours, and the NPCs are largely references to classic games (I noted Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, Zork and Galatea). Although it is designed for the beginner to get used to the sorts of actions and thought processes required by parser games, I'd also recommend it to the seasoned IF player as an enjoyable mini romp, although your possible actions are clearly signposted and there's no real challenge to be found.

a joy to play!, March 21, 2021
by Olaf Nowacki (Berlin, Germany)

I really enjoyed playing this game. It is fast paced and as close to an action game as you can get with text adventures, I'd say.
It doesn't take itself too seriously and, on the other hand, gives a lot of inspiration to me as an author as to which options for action I could still implement for the players in my own game.
Great job!

A fun tutorial game, February 8, 2021

A bit too easy for experienced IF players looking for a challenge, but that was somewhat expected. 77 Verbs is a thoroughly implemented tutorial game, familiarising the player with the different commands commonly used in parser IF. The story is great fun and features references to a wide range of classic works of IF, making it enjoyable even for the seasoned player.

If you enjoyed 77 Verbs...

People who like 77 Verbs also gave high ratings to these games:

Oppositely Opal, by Buster Hudson
You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda! A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

Tombs & Mummies, by Matthew Warner
Your arch enemy has trapped you in the underground tomb of the Pharaoh Haputet. To escape, you must solve a puzzle before you run out of matches to reignite your torch. Watch out for snakes, mummies, and Egyptian curses!

Living Room, by Doug Jones and Anonymous

The following polls include votes for 77 Verbs:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

I don't know how to play a game by High virago
i don't know how to play a game in the ifdb so can you please tell me?

This is version 11 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 21 March 2021 at 6:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item