Contains Dead Man's Hill.gblorb
Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Dead Man's Hill

by Arno von Borries profile

Mutual slaughter in northern France, spring 1916.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2016
TUID: mxoek5y5kaddydj4

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2016

Wade's Important Astrolab
I found Dead Man's Hill to be a thoroughly absorbing experience whose design and programming I admire, even though there's still need for a lot of technical revision. The game satisfies both as a war simulation with measurable mechanics and tactical elements, and as a conceptual piece with overarching ideas about its content.

A game about the horror of war and the battle of Verdun, April 7, 2016
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2016

This is a short, simulation-heavy game. You carry a variety of weapons and command two other soldiers. You are a german in the battle of Verdun, fighting in a French trench. In what is perhaps a mockery of FPS's that glorify war, you can use a bayonet, a spade, a flamethrower, grenades, automatic rifle, etc. and command your followers to equip whatever you want.

I'll put what happens in the game in spoilers, but it's just what you'll discover after playing for 3 or 4 turns:
(Spoiler - click to show)You go around the trench trying to clear it out. As you encounter the french, you stab, burn, or shoot each other to death, with the dying praying in agony or weeping. You keep track of your body count. I've not been able to find any more about the game.</spolier>

Overall, I found the combat mechanics a bit clunky and the game not fun to play, but I believe this is intentional. Reading the INFO text, its clear the author wants to remind us about the truth of war. It was a sobering game, and I believe that author really has something effective here.

If you enjoyed Dead Man's Hill...

People who like Dead Man's Hill also gave high ratings to these games:

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle, by David Dyte, Steve Bernard, Dan Shiovitz, Iain Merrick, Liza Daly, John Cater, Ola Sverre Bauge, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jon Blask, Dan Schmidt, Stephen Granade, Rob Noyes, and Emily Short

The Lonely Troll, by Amanda Walker
Meet a cast of mythological characters in a text adventure about making friends. This game is suitable for children as well as adults and has an extensive tutorial for first-time players. A walkthrough, or "cheat sheet" pdf is available...

Lovely Assistant: Magical Girl, by Bitter Karella
A magician's assistant has two very important duties, to point at things and to look good in a form-fitting evening gown. But when Mugwort the Magician is kidnapped by his devious riddle-obsessed arch-nemesis and imprisoned somewhere on...

The following polls include votes for Dead Man's Hill:

Wandering NPCs by Fredrik
I have always been fascinated with games that have several wandering and independent NPCs, especially when you have the ability to try to order them around. This sets the stage for a game where no one session is like any other, and even...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:03pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item