Lost Pig

2007

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 >> | Next | Show All

One of the most intuitive games I've ever played, March 26, 2021
by Lazygamedesigner82 (Canada)

Lost Pig was my first exposure to interactive fiction in many years, and I continue to be stunned at how immersive, expansive, and unexpected a world the author was able to create with a relatively small map.

I heard it once said that great game design makes you feel like you can do nothing wrong, and Lost Pig is a perfect example of this. The parser was incredibly intuitive, and even though I might not have grasped the solution to a particular puzzle right away, the good-natured humour meant that I was never - not once - frustrated with my lack of progress. There was always something new to examine, and the joy was in searching every room, every object until a hint was revealed. Meanwhile the living, breathing characters seemed to mill about at their own pace, willing to interact but not simply for your entertainment. I wouldn't have been shocked to discover that they had private conversations about me when I wasn't in the room.

There's nothing I don't love about this game!

Hard but fun puzzles, thin story, October 23, 2020

My partner and I had a mostly fun time playing this game. The characters are cute in concept, but the general story is underdeveloped (though the 'moral' is pleasing).

The puzzles were definitely clever and challenging. It took us---relative novices---about two hours to play the whole thing, getting just two or three hints. (The hint menu offers tiered hints---we went only two or three in on a single topic.)

Other reviewers seemed to get a kick out of chatting with the gnome, but we weren't so engaged.

We quite liked the "point counter" approach---getting a point was a lovely reward for our struggles! Guessing the first move ((Spoiler - click to show)you could say we followed our nose) set us up with some unrealistic expectations about what else we'd learn. We were disappointed to finish with only 6/7 possible points, though. When we read the corresponding hint, well... maybe we would have gotten that point if we had been more immersed? Or maybe not.

Lost Pig: an unWinnable State review, May 9, 2020
by unWinnable State (unWinnableState.com)
Related reviews: unWinnable State, Parser, The List!

Grunk must retrieve a lost pig for his employer, and in doing so helps a gnome deal with his past and his place in the world today.

Grunk is one of the most charming PCs you are likely to come across, and the little gnome man, a fun NPC with a delightful story of his own. The writing is sharp and funny, in both its general descriptions and its handling of commands from the player.

Grunk is the reason to play Admiral Jota’s Lost Pig. Look, the first three paragraphs of this review begin with his name, that’s just how great Grunk is. I would say don’t let him hear it or it might go to his head, but the truth is not much actually goes to Grunk’s head. And here’s the thing: You don’t actually play as Grunk. Lost Pig is not written in the second person. Grunk is telling the story. Everything from Grunk point of view… Excuse me, everything is from Grunk’s point of view. The commands you the player type in are more like suggestions for Grunk, which he usually follows.

The puzzles in Lost Pig are quit good, and the difficulty ramp up is smooth, with nothing diabolical A pause and a think will get you through most. There is one puzzle I found frustrating, its solution not entirely fair, but we’ll get to that in the spoiler-y section.

There is an extensive, topic driven, conversation system implemented for the one character Grunk runs into during the game. Through this conversation system you can find bits of guidance on how to complete the tasks laid before Grunk, but more importantly these conversations are what give you the lore of the game. (Lore is definitely overselling it, but hey, I like the word.) What you learn about the world and the character fill out a game that would be little more than a series of tasks otherwise.

While I doubt Lost Pig is going to make my Top 10 list, it is a definite must play. The game is especially great for newer players of parser based IF.

You can find the SPOILER-Y portion of unWinnable States review of Lost Pig here.

Favorite, November 20, 2018
by Indigo (Maine)

Really spoils you with the amount of things you can do. I loved the EXPANSIVE dialogue options you can have. Enjoyed a few sentimental moments too.

Fun game!, April 28, 2017

short and moderately difficult. Funny

A silly but deep game. Humorous, but wears thin on replay, February 3, 2016

I played Lost Pig five years ago when I started playing interactive fiction. I remember thinking that it was a wonderful, wonderful game. I loved the humor of the PC, the silly idea of chasing the pig, the contrast of me with the gnome, and the interesting color puzzles.

However, whenever I go to revisit it, I quickly lose interest. The puzzles were fun the first time, but I find little replay value in the game. If you strip away the narrative voice, the puzzles are only slightly above average.

I recommend this game for everyone to play through once, though. The gnome NPC is brilliant. The color puzzle is fun.

Overall, I found To Hell in a Hamper funnier, and the Rogue of the Multiverse. I think this is a great game, but I wouldn't call it the best of all time, as some have.

funny story, January 20, 2016

grunk is lovely

Highly enjoyable and entertaining, January 6, 2016

I played this game as an IF novice and found it to be a great introduction to the (modern version) of the genre.

The game focuses on its puzzles, but there is enough plot to keep it interesting. The use of humour is the game's greatest strength, making the characters memorable and the playthrough feel worthwhile.

Grunk as a beginner IF player, January 3, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)

I believe Lost Pig is the ultimate IF for beginners. When you're new to it, you could care less for story, setting, good prose or well rounded characters: all of that takes second place to just poking around and reading the fun responses to your inconsequential actions, even as senseless and puerile actions such as taking the moon. IF Beginners love to act like a dumbass of sorts and Grunk indeed is a spot-on character depicting just that level of caveman thinking intelligent people seem to resort to when first confronted with IF. As satire, Lost Pig works great. As a game, it's a highly polished short title, a zanny first foray into IF.

Some think it helps draw people into IF and kind of glorify it. I don't think the kind of people who immenselly enjoyed all of its well implemented whackyness around a simple goal would be willing to play a more serious IF title where you're required to behave and think as the protagonist would and, thus, being told that most of your senseless actions don't work as that first title promised. Thus, the one IF marvel for short-attention-span people who'll never come back for more.

Brilliant, December 28, 2015

I have never played an IF that made me laugh and cry at the same time. The difficulty getting the pig tempered by the hilarious commands that kept me playing this game. I have never found an IF I have found more entertaining that Admiral Jota's Lost Pig.

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 5 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page