rox.z5
version 2
arcade.zip
Contains asteroids.z5
version 1
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Rox

IFIDs:  ZCODE-1-001231-95E9
ZCODE-2-010105-7794
TUID: mhs27ei693lx31rq

Baf's Guide

An impressively elaborate adaptation of the classic videogame Asteroids to text-adventure form. In fact, too elaborate to be played easily, even apart from the transformation of immediately-apprehensible visual cues cartesian coordinates.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

A turn-based version of the arcade game Asteroids, September 15, 2017

This game is a variant of the arcade game Asteroids. It has a backstory, and then has you flying through a two-dimensional grid, letting you change your direction and fire at will.

I liked it, but it was too fussy. I think I encountered a bug, too; going off the edge of the grid said I was getting sent back, but the truth was that it didn't send me back.

An entertaining concept.

If you enjoyed Rox...

People who like Rox also gave high ratings to these games:

Lists and Lists, by Andrew Plotkin
A tutorial in which a genie teaches you the basics of a simplified version of LISP. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Rameses, by Stephen Bond

AI Dungeon, by Nick Walton
"AI Dungeon is an AI generated text adventure that uses deep learning to create each adventure. [...]" "AI Dungeon 1 and 2 were created by Nick Walton with support from David Wingate, Max Robinson, and Alan Walton. It also couldn’t have...

Rox appears in the following Recommended Lists:

The following polls include votes for Rox:

Nontradiational Parser, Gamebook, IF and Systems by thecanvasrose
I'm making a list based on this poll as I play the elected games and can write snippets about them. See here: https://ifdb.org/viewlist?id=3n6rheokfkcsntf - - - - - - - - - I'm looking for games which are: 》Neither parser nor gamebook...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 22 December 2008 at 1:20pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item