Story file
hosted by Playfic
Source code
Comparison of original Inform 7 source code and Dialog port
PunyInform & Inform 6 source code
PunyInform port, by Johan Berntsson. Inform 6 port, by Fredrik Ramsberg.
ZIL source code
ZIL port, by Henrik Åsman.
Commodore disk images
A set of disk images for Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Commodore Plus/​4 and the MEGA65. Uses the PunyInform version of the game.

Craverly Heights

by Ryan Veeder profile

Take on the role of Doctor Langridge, whose patient, Janine, is very sick.

First Publication Date: March 18, 2014
IFID: D3C6DFB8-3327-4181-886A-64ABA4512F8C
TUID: lwydetlk1o0vc91q

The (Hack) Actor's Nightmare, July 15, 2020

It's a wonder IF writers haven't leaned harder into overt soap opera presentation. The stock verbs are so over-the-top and tailor-made, what with all the KISSing and THROWing and KILLing we reflexively do. In this slice of daytime drama / wry workplace comedy, no one in particular is at the controls. Although you are seemingly the least-qualified performer to sort out the issues, only you have the motivation to walk about the set and try to string together the scenes between the commercial breaks. And, of course, you have a secret weapon that lets you weave plot threads twice as fast...

I enjoyed Craverly Heights more than a C-grade. Tight writing, paths to multiple endings feel natural and build the character/actor relationships well. The game is mostly well implemented, although the lurking stack overflow bug is funny in its way.

But I do feel cheated that we never got a scene with more than two characters, never got a solid soapy slap (to receive or give--indeed, SLAP is unimplemented and HIT gives the stdlib response!) and never got a payoff (beyond head canon) for the Pauline(Spoiler - click to show) / Janine conflation.

A Veeder Episode, March 21, 2014
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)

This is a sparsely-implemented but well-written piece in Playfic. It feels like an example game, but contains Veeder's usual wit and noodles around with the PCs identity and inventory in a way that could be interestingly fleshed out in a longer piece. Any more description would spoil. Worth a look if you have ten minutes.

A short game with a twist and good source code, July 22, 2017

This review is for the Official Ryan Veeder Weekend Review Salon with Guaranteed Prize.

This Ryan Veeder game had me very confused, and then pleased, then more confused; then I read the source code, nodded, and understood.

You play a doctor trying to help a sick patient named Pauline. You are in a small hospital that is very... unusual, to say the least, in its geography.

The lack of cluing got to me, though, and the strong branching made each playthrough less memorable.

But the twist was pleasant.

If you enjoyed Craverly Heights...