The Volunteer Firefighter

by Stefanie Handshaw

An action-packed multiple-choice firefighting game, filled with humor, heartache, adventure, and romance! Fight fires! Save lives! Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Current Version: 1.0.1
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: j2de69i6w8xqmvzp

Good, August 5, 2018
by Sobol (Russia)

On the first playthrough, I was having fun and experimenting and enacting a fireman fantasy. Then I died. Then I thought about the game for a while, replayed it and adjusted my rating up a star.

The Volunteer Firefighter is probably the most realistic ChoiceScript game I've played. It's set in our present world; the events and characters described are much more mundane than, say, in SLAMMED!; there's very little of extraordinary, over-the-top; no striking plot twists, no clever narrative tricks; you don't even have a chance to do many "heroic" deeds. It's a simple and honest game and it has some simple truths to remind you of.

Great IF story with a ton of realism!, July 29, 2015
by Actaeon
Related reviews: firefighter

I've been a fan of interactive fiction for years and also a veteran firefighter. The Volunteer Firefighter was exciting and well researched by the author and kept my attention on multiple playthroughs. Even though the story is primarily about your character's firefighting career, I was pleased to see quite a good emphasis on other aspects of a Volunteer Firefighter's life, including romance and careers. The author did a great job capturing this very complex slice of life in its multiple dimensions. Highly recommend!

If you enjoyed The Volunteer Firefighter...

People who like The Volunteer Firefighter also gave high ratings to these games:

Brain Guzzlers from Beyond!, by Steph Cherrywell
You are Bonnie Noodleman, Ordinary Well-Adjusted Teen-Ager, on an ordinary well-adjusted drive up Make-Out Mountain--until some gooey monstrosity from beyond the stars guzzles your boyfriend's brains clean out of his head! Jeepers, what...

The Wizard Sniffer, by Buster Hudson
You were recently acquired by the brave Ser Leonhart and his squire to sniff out the evil shapeshifting wizard. Unfortunately, you are not a wizard sniffer (if such a thing even exists). As far as you can tell, you are an ordinary pig. A...

Weird City Interloper, by C.E.J. Pacian
An interactive tale of strange conspiracy. Pull up your hood, lower your gaze and enter the city of Zendon. If you can gather enough information, you may just be able to change the course of history. (Weird City Interloper is a shallow...

The following polls include votes for The Volunteer Firefighter:

Best Choicescript games by MathBrush
I've only played a few choicescript games, but I loved Creatures Such as We, The Race, and Scarlet Sails. What can you recommend?

Games Where the Title Is You by AKheon
Games with a title that is the same as the main character.

Best Hosted Games from Choice of Games by MathBrush
Sobol suggested having a poll just for Hosted Games, as they have a greater variety in quality and receive less attention.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Sobol on 5 August 2018 at 4:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item