The Volunteer Firefighter

by Stefanie Handshaw

An action-packed multiple-choice firefighting game, filled with humor, heartache, adventure, and romance! Fight fires! Save lives! Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Current Version: 1.0.1
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: j2de69i6w8xqmvzp

Good, August 5, 2018
by Sobol (Russia)

On the first playthrough, I was having fun and experimenting and enacting a fireman fantasy. Then I died. Then I thought about the game for a while, replayed it and adjusted my rating up a star.

The Volunteer Firefighter is probably the most realistic ChoiceScript game I've played. It's set in our present world; the events and characters described are much more mundane than, say, in SLAMMED!; there's very little of extraordinary, over-the-top; no striking plot twists, no clever narrative tricks; you don't even have a chance to do many "heroic" deeds. It's a simple and honest game and it has some simple truths to remind you of.

Great IF story with a ton of realism!, July 29, 2015
by Actaeon
Related reviews: firefighter

I've been a fan of interactive fiction for years and also a veteran firefighter. The Volunteer Firefighter was exciting and well researched by the author and kept my attention on multiple playthroughs. Even though the story is primarily about your character's firefighting career, I was pleased to see quite a good emphasis on other aspects of a Volunteer Firefighter's life, including romance and careers. The author did a great job capturing this very complex slice of life in its multiple dimensions. Highly recommend!

If you enjoyed The Volunteer Firefighter...

People who like The Volunteer Firefighter also gave high ratings to these games:

Aotearoa, by Matt Wigdahl
The Fish of Māui. The Land of the Long Cloud. Aotearoa. An entire continent of untamed wilds, and the last place on Earth where dinosaurs still roam. If only you'd come ashore under better circumstances...

In a Manor of Speaking, by Hulk Handsome
In a Manor of Speaking is a punny adventure set in the surreal world of Calembour. Journey through the bizarre Outlands, the bustling streets of Rudeville, and eventually find your way to the manor itself as you save the land by using...

Episode in the Life of an Artist, by Peter Eastman

The following polls include votes for The Volunteer Firefighter:

Games Where the Title Is You by AKheon
Games with a title that is the same as the main character.

Best Hosted Games from Choice of Games by MathBrush
Sobol suggested having a poll just for Hosted Games, as they have a greater variety in quality and receive less attention.

Best Choicescript games by MathBrush
I've only played a few choicescript games, but I loved Creatures Such as We, The Race, and Scarlet Sails. What can you recommend?

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Sobol on 5 August 2018 at 4:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item