The Volunteer Firefighter

by Stefanie Handshaw

An action-packed multiple-choice firefighting game, filled with humor, heartache, adventure, and romance! Fight fires! Save lives! Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Current Version: 1.0.1
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: j2de69i6w8xqmvzp

Good, August 5, 2018
by Sobol (Russia)

On the first playthrough, I was having fun and experimenting and enacting a fireman fantasy. Then I died. Then I thought about the game for a while, replayed it and adjusted my rating up a star.

The Volunteer Firefighter is probably the most realistic ChoiceScript game I've played. It's set in our present world; the events and characters described are much more mundane than, say, in SLAMMED!; there's very little of extraordinary, over-the-top; no striking plot twists, no clever narrative tricks; you don't even have a chance to do many "heroic" deeds. It's a simple and honest game and it has some simple truths to remind you of.

Great IF story with a ton of realism!, July 29, 2015
by Actaeon
Related reviews: firefighter

I've been a fan of interactive fiction for years and also a veteran firefighter. The Volunteer Firefighter was exciting and well researched by the author and kept my attention on multiple playthroughs. Even though the story is primarily about your character's firefighting career, I was pleased to see quite a good emphasis on other aspects of a Volunteer Firefighter's life, including romance and careers. The author did a great job capturing this very complex slice of life in its multiple dimensions. Highly recommend!

If you enjoyed The Volunteer Firefighter...

People who like The Volunteer Firefighter also gave high ratings to these games:

Christminster, by Gareth Rees
"When your brother Malcolm sends you a telegram inviting you to visit him at Biblioll College in the ancient university town of Christminster, you imagine that the mysterious `discovery' he alludes to is nothing more than some esoteric...

Welcome to Moreytown, by S. Andrew Swann
Claw your way to the top of Moreytown, a furry slum for human-animal hybrids. Will you take down the gangs who rule the town, or take them over instead? "Welcome to Moreytown" is a 150,000-word interactive novel by S. Andrew Swann. It's...

John's Fire Witch, by John Baker
A small, witty text adventure. Its clever puzzles received quite a bit of acclaim on rec.arts.int-fiction upon its release. You've come to visit your old friend John Baker, but he's missing, and a blizzard has rolled in outside while you...

The following polls include votes for The Volunteer Firefighter:

Best Choicescript games by MathBrush
I've only played a few choicescript games, but I loved Creatures Such as We, The Race, and Scarlet Sails. What can you recommend?

Games Where the Title Is You by AKheon
Games with a title that is the same as the main character.

Best Hosted Games from Choice of Games by MathBrush
Sobol suggested having a poll just for Hosted Games, as they have a greater variety in quality and receive less attention.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Sobol on 5 August 2018 at 4:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item