Walkthrough
The game's walkthrough, in RTF fomat.

Eidolon

by A.D. Jansen

Surreal

When you wake up, something is passing through the night sky.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: i6hdqkbq45y9e9f5

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story - 2014 XYZZY Awards

8th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Surprisingly large and non-linear for a twine game; vivid, haunting writing, May 1, 2015

This is a very large Twine game that starts out mostly linear, branches a little, and then branches a lot. It includes a large area with a variety of rooms, including a clever means of transportation (Spoiler - click to show)the curious door/button combo. The genre is subtle horror/mystery, and the writing is evocative and sticks with you.

The lack of a save feature is annoying; as a casual gamer, I can't finish the game in one sitting, and it's difficult to juggle tabs to keep the game open throughout the day. This is one game I would like to finish.

Mysterious and evocative Twine fiction/puzzle, December 28, 2021
by Wynter (UK)
Related reviews: Twine fiction, Twine puzzles

This is one of the most atmospheric and evocative Twine stories that I have read. The things you see and read on your mysterious journey seem full of meaning, yet I could not say what they mean exactly.

The strangeness and arbitrariness of some of the objects which you interact with allow for some workable puzzles, even in Twine: rather than logically figuring things out, as in a parser game, you need to visit various different locations several times and note when they change and where new links appear. Many of the passages and descriptions do nothing to move the plot onwards, but they serve to develop the atmosphere and act as red herrings as you try to find a way forward. The visuals were absolutely appropriate to the gloomy midnight setting - black background, white serif text with pale grey link text - but I found that I really needed to look closely in order to notice where the links were.

probably my favorite twine or even IF i've played, January 2, 2017

I've dabbled in a few dozen IF titles in the past few years, and since i played this one in early 2015, i still come back to it. I've recommended it to a lot of fiction, horror, or fantasy readers I know. The interesting mix of dread, amusement, fear, sadness, and surprise throughout really won me over and I still think about it a lot.

I agree with some other reviewers that it's length is such that a save function would be welcome, especially since it did get more challenging eventually. But there's no death or circumstance that demand a restart. But as a personal story with great imagery, some interesting puzzles, and a great and genuinely pretty bizarre tone I think it stands above a lot of IF games. Play it asap, with a lot of free time and a dark cool room.

If you enjoyed Eidolon...

People who like Eidolon also gave high ratings to these games:

DinoKnights, by KT Bryski
Saddle up to defend the realm on dino-back! Once a humble farmerís child, youíve been accepted into Queen Isobel's Rangers: brave knights who patrol the kingdom of Pascalia on scaly beasts. But just as you receive your own dino and begin...

All Roads, by Jon Ingold
"Wave a circle round him thrice, And close your eyes with holy dread For he on honey-dew hath fed And drunk the milk of paradise." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

Ratings War, by Eddy Webb
Implant cameras in your eyes to win the news wars of 2061! Record your way through dystopian New Angeles, solving multiple murders and conquering the airwaves as you go! "Ratings War" is a thrilling 80,000-word interactive novel by Eddy...

Eidolon appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favourite Games by Isaac Buckley

Surreal/trippy/metaphor/mind's journey, with two worlds by MathBrush
There is a big genre of games where you explore a metaphorical region of dreams or symbolism, and which has meaning in the 'real world'. I love this genre, and these are my favorite examples of the genre. I only include games where there...

Best fairytale/nursery rhyme games by MathBrush
A selection of fairy tale games, nursery rhyme games, or games involving the Fair Folk.

The following polls include votes for Eidolon:

School of Chaos Creepypasta's by StrawberryPie1
I'm looking for realistic gaming stories that include creepypasta

Games with Books/Bookshelves/Libraries by Andrew Schultz
I'm interested in games with lots of books you can read through. Maybe it's just a lot of cool titles and authors. Maybe they're randomly or procedurally generated. Maybe they reference pop culture, or maybe they're the author's own...

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 8 February 2017 at 4:51pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item