Release 2
Contains fourdiopolis.gblorb
Binary with hints, release notes, etc.
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Fourdiopolis

by Andrew Schultz profile

A sequel to Threediopolis. It has teleporters!

First Publication Date: April 6, 2016
IFID: 92F9CB12-41F0-402D-B42D-36F2FDD4EBF5
TUID: i4ozk7jjbz0kvss2

Sequel to Threediopolis, by Andrew Schultz

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2016

News

Fourdiopolis release 2 August 14, 2016
Expand all | Add a news item

An intricate, chess/crossword-puzzle like game about hidden codes, April 9, 2016

This Andrew Schultz game builds and expands on one of my favorite Schultz games, Threediopolis. If you haven't played that game, you should try it out first, as this game contains spoilers for the basic concept of that game.

If you have played threediopolis, (Spoiler - click to show)this is the same sort of game, except some chess-like moves have been added, h,i,j,k. Each of these teleports you 2 spaces away in each direction. For instance, h teleports you n,e, and u, while i teleports you w,s, and u.

This makes the game more difficult. I found it helpful to read some of the documentation on the spring thing website, which will most likely be included on IFDB afterwards. It gives a helpful list of the results of 2- and 3- letter combinations, like hi.

My rating of this game is certainly subjective. The puzzles appeal to me as a mathematician because I love the interplay between freedom and constraint. Emotionally, it draws you into an exploratory/puzzly/celebratory mood. The game is definitely polished, and I plan on playing again (it's a long game, and I've only played through part of it. It's the kind of game I feel I could return to frequently to play around with). I though of taking off one point due to the lack of descriptive text, but I realized that more text would make the game difficult and tedious. The scarcity of text is a necessary part of the design.

Like I said, this game will only appeal to a certain group of people, so I can't recommend it to everyone. But fans of crosswords, cryptograms, and codewords will enjoy this game.

If you enjoyed Fourdiopolis...

People who like Fourdiopolis also gave high ratings to these games:

Undercover Agent, by Naomi Laeuchli
Think fast and lie faster! When you go undercover to retrieve a deadly new bio-weapon, can you pull off the mission and escape with your life? Undercover Agent is an interactive novel by Naomi Laeuchli. It's entirely text-based--135,000...

Vespers, by Jason Devlin
It has been five days, now. Five days since I made the choice. Five days since I closed the gate. Really, there was no choice. Rovato was damned when the first spot appeared: when the first bloody cough ensued from the mouth of an...

The Day I Went Away for a While, by Niall Taylor

Fourdiopolis appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite wordplay/puzzle/code games by MathBrush
Games whose main 'genre' is wordplay. This list does not include games like the Edifice or Suveh Nux which have significant wordplay elements, but which are not the focus of the story.

The following polls include votes for Fourdiopolis:

Great game sequels by Teaspoon
Whilst writing a review of "All Alone", Joey Jones's sequel to his game "If I Wasn't Shy", I became curious - how many examples of sequels are there in IF? Preferably good ones.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:35pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item