Story File (release 3)
Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Sequitur

by Nigel Jayne (as Tin Foil Jenny) profile

Mystery

The only person who can explain what happened in a long-forgotten house with four dead people inside is comatose and clinging to her life in hospital.

Detective Stephen Cochone of the New Orleans Police Department needs to accurately reconstruct the chain of events by sequencing the video footage, sound recordings, and other vestiges of activity found at the site, leading him to a conclusion that could protect the lives of millions.

*** Sequitur contains adult-themed material (some violence and sexual innuendo), and it is not appropriate
for anyone who hasnít started high school. It also features a few sound effects and theme music, which
only work when the game is played offline on some interpreters (e.g., Gargoyle, WinGit, or WinGlulxe).***

First Publication Date: May 13, 2014

Release 3 August 8, 2015
Sequitur Release 2 August 17, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Unique, found footage crime-solving, July 11, 2019

Sequitur is a CSI tech game with a unique feel. You play as Detective Stephen Cochone, investigating several mysterious deaths that occurred at a supposedly abandoned house. Heís being taught how to use sequitur, a program created by quirky tech girl Jenny, as part of the investigation. The main use of the in-game program is to review written descriptions of found footage and sound recordings taken from the crime scene, and arrange them in chronological order.

Having this separate Ďprogramí as the main interface is itself pretty interesting. I did find it confusing at first because youíre hit with a lot of special commands and phrases upfront, which can be overwhelming. The game does provide you with in-game help, though, including the option to ask Jenny to order the sequences for you. While this may be too easy of a bypass, the player still has to view all the videos and come to their own conclusions.

What I enjoyed most, though, were the characters. We quickly get an idea of who they are, and I enjoyed the dialogue between Stephen and Jenny. I was pretty invested in them by the end and (Spoiler - click to show)really bummed that the endings donít give us any concrete details about what happens afterwards. I first played Sequitur a few years ago, and Iím still disappointed we donít find out what happens to Cochone! Even the best ending doesnít tell us.

The game also has custom responses to out-of-game commands, giving functions like save or restart in-game explanations, which I thought was a nice touch.

Overall, itís very well written and one of my favorite IF games.

If you enjoyed Sequitur...

People who like Sequitur also gave high ratings to these games:

Zork III, by Dave Lebling, Marc Blank
An old, oddly youthful man turns toward you slowly. His long, silver hair dances about him as a fresh breeze blows. "You have reached the final test, my friend! You are proved clever and powerful, but this is not yet enough! Seek me when...

Nowhere Near Single, by kaleidofish
A young woman in the entertainment industry struggles with harmonizing her public pop star persona and her private polyamorous life. Warning for mildly graphic content.

my father's long, long legs, by michael lutz
A weird tale. Some parts make use of sound, so this game is best played with headphones. One ending.

The following polls include votes for Sequitur:

Games like Glowgrass by Timewalker
I'm looking for games like glowgrass which have a puzzle taking place in less than about five rooms, and also requiring common sense.

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

Plot-driven Narrative by Jerako
I'm looking for a list of games to try where the narrative is the focus of the game. Where the author is really trying to tell a story over making a puzzlefest (though puzzles aren't necessarily unwelcome, especially if they drive they...

This is version 17 of this page, edited by Zape on 12 April 2021 at 1:38am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item