Fish!

by John Molloy, Pete Kemp, Phil South, and Rob Steggles

Espionage/Humor
1988

One nibble and you're hooked.

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GET OUT OF THE WATER:

The tide is turning in the teeming metropolis of Fishworld. The oceans and seas are boiling off into space. The Seven Deadly Fins - an interdimensional group of anarchists - are on the loose. The project has been sabotaged... And you're a goldfish.

Tough. But then life's like that. Sometimes you're dealt a real deal. Toast falls buttered-side down. Phones ring when you're in the bath. And there's always chili sauce on your kebab.

From rain-soaked forests and London recording studios to the farthest reaches of time and space, Fish! will bemuse, dazzle and thrill you before confusing, razzling and killing you.

Fish! is brought to you by Magnetic Scrolls, authors of such classic award-winning adventures as The Pawn and The Guild of Thieves. It's full of what you're least expecting, lacking in all that's rational, and devoid of much that could reasonably be expected... So, dust down your tackle, dress up your flies, reel in a winner and play Fish!

License: Commercial
IFID: MAGNETIC-5
TUID: g9g79441phtamdfi

Crash

"As in previous Magnetic Scrolls disk-based adventures (Jinxter, Corruption etc), the flexible parser accepts most logical input and permits editing of the current and last command. It also allows up to about ten separate commands to be entered in one line of input. The frequent disk accessing fails to severely interrupt play, although the occasional need to enter anti-piracy passwords is slightly annoying. The lack of any graphics is irrelevant - they would have only required more time - consuming disk accessing and taken up screen space.

With the large vocabulary, problems require much lateral thinking instead of simple word finding. All objects can be examined, often producing a witty response - the fishofax is described as combining the features of a diary and a wallet for four or five times the price!"

SPAG
"The puzzles are very clever and logical and the text is very 'Magnetic Scrollsish' and makes for a great read.

The parser is probably the best of all the Magnetic Scrolls games and is as good, if not better than the Infocom parsers."
-- Yuzo Takada

SPAG
The Magnetic Scrolls Collection
"I managed to make it to the very end sequence, just to find that I didn't have enough time (each move costs you a few minutes) to do what was required of me. Painful."
-- The Magnificent Linnard

SynTax
"Much of the text - in common with other Magnetic Scrolls adventures - is amusing, but I felt this was rather overdone and the humour loses its impact when it's laid on with a trowel. It's not quite as "over the top" as in Jinxter though. As you might expect, no chance is missed to refer to fish in some way, from the fishton in your sparsely furnished apartment and your Fisa card for instant credit to the names of different types of fish. [...]

Well, if you're a keen adventurer you'll buy it anyway and I think that, on the whole, you'll enjoy the fishy goings on. I'm left with the feeling, though, that by now Mag Scrolls have milked dry their characteristic jokey style and it would be very interesting to see what they could come up with if they approached a topic in a rather more serious vein."
-- Neil Shipman

SynTax
Magnetic Scrolls Collection
"Before you can enter the main game, you'll have to sort out three small scenarios but despite their small size, they're no pushover to solve. The whole game, and especially the main part, is full of fishy puns, especially when you take a trip on the fish world's underground system. [...]

When originally produced, all three games were well-received and gained good ratings in the glossies. I liked 'em too, especially Fish [...]"
-- Sue

One of the greatest ever, May 18, 2014
by ethnicolor ("Kilkenny, Ireland")

I"m playing text adventures for almost 30 years, and when I think "adventures" (OK, OK... "I. F." God...) Fish! is number one on my list. I've played and played and played this game over and over, and I still enjoy it on OSX all these years later.

Magnetic Scrolls really managed to capture the mood of the mid/late 1980s and their games are just a joy to read and play again and again.

If you enjoyed Fish!...

People who like Fish! also gave high ratings to these games:

The Mulldoon Legacy, by Jon Ingold
"In the event of my disappearance, my legacy shall not be distributed until every room in my museum has been searched in case I can be located." --Last Will and Testament, E. Mulldoon.

The Art of Fugue, by Victor Gijsbers, Jimmy Maher, Dorte Lassen, and Johan
A pure story-less puzzle game featuring logical puzzles based on the idea of the fugue: your commands are performed by four different actors, but with increasing delays. The version with music features Daniel Bautista's rendering of...

Answer the Call, by Magcos and Sindriv
There are three types of people in this world; Those that make things happen, Those that watch things happen, And those that ask - 'what happened?'. *** The day starts badly: Late for work, you rush out the door forgetting your wallet...

Fish! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Noteworthy Games Which Aren't Z-Code or TADS Bytecode by Walter Sandsquish
So many text-adventure games have been written with some version of ZIL or Inform or TADS that we might forget other methods get used too. So, here is a list of noteworthy games which don't live on a Z-Machine or a TADS VM. By...

Best of each authoring system by Denk
I intend to try the best games of each authoring system, so there will no doubt be many changes to this list in the future. So far, I think the following games are the best for each system I have tried: (games in alphabetic order)

Games by Gaal24
my favorite games

The following polls include votes for Fish!:

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

Give me a second chance! by verityvirtue
I'm looking for games which work like Bigger Than You Think - where dying isn't the end, where you're given second chances, where your second chances give you gear or skills or knowledge that you need to know to win the game.

Games with a great city setting by penguincascadia
I'm looking for games that attempt (with at least some success) to portray a large city setting that the player can explore and interact with to at least some depth. Games like Gotomomi, City of Secrets, and A Mind Forever Voyaging are...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Zape on 17 April 2021 at 4:23am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item