SpeedIF08.zip
Contains CHEF.GAM
Requires a TADS interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

You are a Chef!

IFID: TADS2-DE6FF56FD763F7A272240CA66FDFD11E
TUID: f2oyetp93zdpg4k4

Nominee, Best Writing - 2000 XYZZY Awards

Baf's Guide

One of SpeedIF's gems. Pure nonsense, but nonsense of a highly enthusiastic and infectious sort. Very small and easy.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Not funny, January 29, 2009
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)

You are a Chef! is solidly within the "look, I have written a really bad game!" school of comedy. We can see this from the very first line: "HELLO CHEF!!!!!1". The string of exclamation marks ends with a '1' because the fictional 'n00b' author put his finger off of the Shift-key a little too early.

The main problem with this approach to comedy is that an intentionally bad game is still a bad game. To take badness and elevate it to another level is possible, but very hard; and I doubt that taking a straightforward approach to it is the way to go. See Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents "Detective" for a non-straightforward, and much more successful, example. There, a separate "commentary" track is used to make fun of the source material. In You are a Chef!, we are just playing the very bad game.

Nor is the sheer absurdity of the events enough to make the player chuckle. Absurdity is only funny if there is some method behind it. Random objects falling from the sky simply do not qualify as a good joke.

Perhaps the dreariness of the game is best demonstrated by this exchange:

Iron safe falls from the sky!
It lands on top of clown and breaks open!

>x safe
In the iron safe you see a MYSTERY INGREDIENT.

>take ingredient
Taken.

>x it
I cannot tell you! It is a mystery!!

If you thought that was funny, please play this game.

Zany, November 27, 2007
by Tracy Poff (Hamlin, West Virginia, United States)
Related reviews: Speed-IF 8

This is a pleasant and zany little piece of SpeedIF. It's positively nonsensical, but so enthusiastically so as to be quite amusing. There's no real puzzle--walking about typing 'take all' would be sufficient to solve it--but it's brief enough that it's oddness alone is enough to sustain it. How can one not love a game that opens with "HELLO CHEF!!!!!1 You must make FOOD! You have a list! First to food wins!"?

Very, very silly, November 26, 2007
by Kake (London, England)
Related reviews: Dan Shiovitz, ***, Speed IF

It's silly, it's fun, it has a monkey in it, and the goal is to make soup. What more could you want? (It's Speed IF, so don't expect it to be typo-free.) Effectively puzzleless.

If you enjoyed You are a Chef!...

People who like You are a Chef! also gave high ratings to these games:

Four Sittings in a Sinking House, by Bruno Dias
The thing about sinking is: the sea is not a void. If you're sinking, you're displacing something. A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016

Map, by Ade McT
The house is growing. Or perhaps it's you who is shrinking. And with all this extra space is coming....time. Time enough, maybe, to make some changes.

Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina, by Jim Aikin

You are a Chef! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Fun Games by AmberShards
These are games which are entertaining but not enduring. Play them to enjoy a spot of diversion.

Funny Games by Ivanr
Okay, this is purely subjective, but since really successful comedy is so rare in IF I thought I'd collect what I consider to be the successes. Each of these is a game that made me grin. (To avoid killing any frogs, the commentary here...

Best of SpeedIF by David Welbourn
SpeedIF games are often overlooked or denigrated, and usually with good reason: with only two hours to code a game, the results can be rather shoddy. Buggy. Plagued with read-author's-mind problems. But not always. Here are a few SpeedIF...

The following polls include votes for You are a Chef!:

Brilliant trolling games by Not Troll
Some games are just that bad, some are so bad it's good, and a few are obviously trolling. Yet, are there games that troll so much that they start to be brilliant? Or even those that seems to be trolling that turn out to be brilliant...

games with cooking by jlvp1234
I'm looking for games with cooking. ever since I have played gourmet and, gourmet version1, wich is the same, I have also played you got a stew going. does anyone have any recommendations other than these on wich I have just mentioned?

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Zape on 18 April 2021 at 3:45am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item