Social Lycanthropy Disorder

by E. Joyce profile

Fantasy/Humor

You're a werewolf, it's Halloween, and you totally forgot that tonight is the full moon. If you're not careful, you're going to turn into a wolf in front of all your friends... but if you leave the party early, people will ask awkward questions, and that's even worse.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2020
IFID: 9396FF14-464D-459C-9CF0-7D87D3FF184F
TUID: evx89u4knnwwaw8o

1st Place, Le Grand Guignol - English - ECTOCOMP 2020

A well-designed, timed Twine game about social anxiety and more, November 9, 2020

This game in the Grand Guignol part of Ectocomp 2020 was pleasant to play and looked good. It's written in Twine (I assume), but it's been heavily styled with colors and background graphics.

The design is tight and there are real choices with long-lasting effects. You have a specific deadline and a lot of options.

In this game, you're a werewolf that is at a college-type party trying to fit in, have fun and leave before you transform in an hour and a half.

The lycanthropy can easily be read as anxiety (especially given the name of the piece), and I've had the feeling many times of being at a party and trying to stay just long enough to feel comfortable leaving.

The one thing that keeps this from being amazing for me is the signalling of choices. My favorite choice-based games allow either deep characterization of the protagonist or strategizing, and it was hard for me to do either one here. I feel like having more hints about the possible effects of choices could fix that, but it may just be a personal design choice and not something that needs to be 'fixed'. I had fun either way, and played through three or four times.

Short, Sweet, and Socially Anxious, May 20, 2022

This was such a wonderful story! All of the characters were fun to interact with and the dialogue options felt both varied and realistic. I played through several times so I could meet everyone at the party, and I was thrilled to discover (Spoiler - click to show)the mini-game after completing all of the achievements.

Lycan subscribe, October 31, 2020
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2020

Choice-based game with seven endings (I saw three, including a "winning" one) and eight achievements (I found five). You're a werewolf, on the full moon, stuck at a party. Can you avoid turning into a slavering killer beast? Or even worse, making yourself look like a dork in front of your friends?

I was bowled over by how much content there was here: there is a ton of stuff to do, lots of interesting characters to chat to (with different conversations depending on what time of the night you approach them), lots of party-related activities to partake in, even some time-management based gameplay to give the whole thing some structure. Pretty great all-roooowwwwwnd!

If you enjoyed Social Lycanthropy Disorder...