Flight of the Code Monkeys

by Mark C. Marino

Grim Humor Science Fiction

The Gaming Philosopher

Iím just following instructions and seeing what happens Ė if there are any neat tricks, theyíve been pulled by Mark Marino, not by me. Perhaps that is precisely the point; after all, the player character complains several times that heís always just following orders. But as a player, Iím much more satisfied by the approach of I. A. G. Alpha, where you can only create the winning code once you actually understand how the coding system works.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- wisprabbit (Sheffield, UK), January 8, 2020

Neat concept that teaches programming, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019

Flight of the CodeMonkeys is based on the neat idea of setting an IF into a programming notebook. You can play it even if you donít know any programming from before, and probably even learn something through it. The game doesnít go very deep into coding, however, and the opportunities you get to hack the system end up feeling less than immersive. Still, I liked the idea, and think it demonstrates how you can use IF as an educational tool to teach programming. My main criticism of this game is that you need to create a Google account in order to play it.

- dgtziea, November 19, 2019

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 17, 2019

- lunaterra (Atlanta, GA, USA), November 9, 2019

Collaborative coding mixed with computer dystopia, October 1, 2019

This game is clever. It is a python notebook with code that you can run. You are assigned tasks to do, altering the code and running it.

The code is obfuscated, with a large portion of it hidden in a huge string array. Making the code changes suggested in the text portions reveals 'secrets' in the code. Some secrets are a lot simpler than others.

This game is complex and creative, but I found it a bit confusing near the end. The first 'subversive' instruction was difficult for me to follow (especially 'put it in the parenthesis'. Put what in which parenthesis?)

Overall, I was glad I played and love the innovation happening here.