SpeedIF_Gruff.zip
Contains breath.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Deep Breathing

by Admiral Jota profile

Literary/Children's
2006

IFID: ZCODE-1-060121-F3C7
TUID: cq4brf7veenvjfdx

Nice little something, January 25, 2014
by Simon Deimel (Germany)

This is a nice story, a very brief speed IF. It is principally not too difficult, but the solution requires knowledge beyond the game -- surely common knowledge in the US, but for me it was not so common(Spoiler - click to show) and resulted in an annoying guess-the-verb moment: 'man, how am I supposed to warm up?' I knew the story which the game is based on, but unfortunately I did not know the original line (by now I checked it, and okay, the order of unusual verbs makes sense as soon as you know the line; probably every kid in the US knows it by heart, but they told me different tales here when I was young), so in the end I had to read the code, which luckily was available.
Anyway, a cute story and in the end a new lesson for me.

The other side of the tale, September 7, 2008
by Maze (Rome, Italy)

An alternate view of a well-known tale (can't tell which, or that'll ruin the brief experience). Written by the same guy that did the excellent "Lost Pig", this is a speedIF (that means you'll end it in a few moves: just got to find the right ones). Can't rate it, but it's funny and well-written (though don't expect to be laughing out loud), and will take you just a few minutes of your precious time.

If you enjoyed Deep Breathing...

People who like Deep Breathing also gave high ratings to these games:

The Impossible Bottle, by Linus Åkesson
Housework is only as dull as your imagination. Join Emma, six years old, on a playful adventure of peculiar proportions. Merciful puzzlefest. Parser or point-and-click, as you please. Web (including mobile) or Z-machine.

Buried In Shoes, by Kazuki Mishima
Everything is about the question. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Vespers, by Jason Devlin
It has been five days, now. Five days since I made the choice. Five days since I closed the gate. Really, there was no choice. Rovato was damned when the first spot appeared: when the first bloody cough ensued from the mouth of an...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Zape on 31 March 2021 at 10:18pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item