Story file
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

Motion

by Abbi Park

2010

You're flying a rocket up three miles into the air. Since fuel is very expensive, and you're on a budget, you've
ordered only the exact amount you'll need for the ascent...

First Publication Date: August 2, 2010
Development System: ADRIFT
TUID: ch02p0pj41qeycz

6th Place - InsideADRIFT Summer Competition 2010

Game - just not Adventure, August 31, 2010

Reminds me of the old arcade game "Moon Lander", but backwards to the DOS games (ASCII characters to build an image). Unlike an actual timer to race against, it's knowing when to not just hit [Enter]. The first time around I quit the game on the second 'chapter' bored with enter, enter, enter, etc. But to do justice in evaluating the game for the competition, I persisted and plowed through to the end.

The descriptions were somewhat brief and simplistic - would have liked to see more 'Adventure' to the game. That said, making the ASCII images stay in the correct layout took some skill and patience on the part of Abbi Park.

Depends on what you're looking for..., August 23, 2010
by TDS

Motion is an experimental game. How experimental? Try, figuring out how to launch and land a rocket safely, experimental. The game makes extensive use of ASCII graphics, representing the rocket by dashes, slashes, underscores, and other symbols.

The game is divided into three parts, or tasks: (i) launch the rocket, (ii) land the rocket, (iii) return the rocket. It is a quick game, but itís fun while it lasts. Thereís not a lot to say about replayability though. Once I beat itÖI didnít feel like there was anything else left to do. It is true that the replayability factor doesnít matter so much for modern IF (most people put games away the instant they beat them), but considering how short the game is, and itís arcade-like action, you would think there would be some kind of replay value to it.

Also, it is an experimental game but it is not really experimental IF. I thought it was fun, but it was more of a showcase of what can be done through a text adventureís parser than a substantive adventure. I suspect it was intended to be the former rather than the latter. With that in mind, I say ďpretty good,Ē but I also say, ďI donít see how I can judge this alongside other adventures.Ē So, if you want a quick, fun game to play: you got it. But if you want an actual adventure, look elsewhere. (For what itís worth, Iím impressed by how the thing works; itís surprising something like this could be made, or that anyone would have the patience to make it.)

If you enjoyed Motion...