upon the author's website.
at itch.​io.
Story file

Tales from Castle Balderstone

by Ryan Veeder profile

Episode 1 of Tales from Castle Balderstone

An anthology of terror, edited by Ryan Veeder. Also an ECTOCOMP 2018 entry.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2018
Forgiveness Rating: Spine-tingling
IFID: 1C114FA9-6864-440C-A832-23AC3FABB3D8
TUID: bpp58cwqb8gfu1wk

Winner, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2018

Interactive Licktion
This game comprises a series of short stories that are read aloud in Castle Balderstone, the “real” world where the protagonist is located; each story is followed by a conversation between the authors, facilitated by a moderator who, rather like an emcee of an informal production, has heavy character presence. Apart from being intriguing in its own right, this setup has a ton of benefits, many of which are cleverly taken advantage of....

A humorous and horrifying collection of short Halloween games, November 3, 2018

This game is framed as a collection of friends sharing tales. After an intimidating wall of opening text, you begin playing the mini-games in random order.

You can, at any time, excuse yourself to go to the bathroom to skip a tale, which opens up a small segment of the game.

The stories were fun, and in a wide range. One was essentially a one-note joke; one was a deeply disturbing exploration in three parts that was frankly horrifying; another was like a fairy tale; and the fourth is a fun riff on metaphorical games.

I found this game truly enjoyable. Its one defect for me was the difficulty in finding the right actions/verbs on a regular basis. However, that may be part of the charm. But when I saw a pattern on the wallpaper and couldn't X PATTERN, or couldn't get a response for cutting it with one of two items present in the game, I got frustrated. SHOUT could work more often, TALK TO isn't implemented. But I don't know if it's worth it going back to spruce this game up, since the fun's already there.

If you enjoyed Tales from Castle Balderstone...

People who like Tales from Castle Balderstone also gave high ratings to these games:

All Hope Abandon, by Eric Eve
Your day got off to a good enough start when you met that blonde in the breakfast queue, but it's all downhill from there: you may be wishing you could escape a particularly dire lecture, but not by the one way the lecture has just...

Maze of Madness, by Lurkio/Ant
A solvable demo of a rather cruel puzzle idea. Playable online. Written for the 8-bit BBC Micro computer.

Mud Warriors, by Ryan Veeder
General Shaquille has a mission for you.

Tales from Castle Balderstone appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Funniest games by Denk
These games are not the best games, but the games that made me laugh the most. They may not be funny all the time but they contain one or more funny passages.

More Recommended Horror Games by thecanvasrose
A list of well-rated, reputable and interesting horror games not included in my favorite horror games list. For those looking to explore the genre in IF.

The following polls include votes for Tales from Castle Balderstone:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Setting of 2018 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2018 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Overall Games of 2018 - by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2018 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest games...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 26 November 2020 at 3:20pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item