Barry Basic and the Speed Daemon

by Dee Cooke profile

Part of Barry Basic

You're really hitting the ground running with this one...

As Alejandro, the latest hire at Bazbasoft, you didn't expect to be thrown into the (literal) world of Barry Basic's games on your very first day in the job. But the Speed Daemon, an old enemy of Barry, has returned, and alongside your mentor Shona and Barry himself, you need to travel through the game world and find him before he can do any more damage to the latest Bazbasoft game project!

First Publication Date: May 2, 2022
Development System: Adventuron
TUID: a3fqzwtpbwfdb595

Entrant - Text Adventure Literacy Jam - 2022

Three puzzle games of varying difficulty blended into one, May 16, 2022

This game has the same storyline shown from multiple points of view. As you complete an easy one, a harder one unlocks. In an amusing twist, the 'help' system for each difficulty level is the PC of the next difficulty level. It's an adventuron game, and comes with a built-in map.

Each difficulty level is linear, solving one room at a time before unlocking the next room.

I found the puzzles pretty hard as the game went on. The first difficulty level wasn't too hard, but I couldn't figure out the wordplay puzzle in the second difficulty without the walkthrough (I had tried (Spoiler - click to show)GLASS and 4-letter words without success). I also had deep trouble with the wire problem, especially since the solution relied on a word not in the verb list, and the cake puzzle, well, I'm not sure how it worked even after the solution. This isn't bad, necessarily, since being stuck is a feature of puzzles, but I definitely did get stuck; other reviews say they had no problems in this game so it's probably just me.

Overall, the game was entertaining. I would have preferred some simultaneous puzzles so I could work on one while being stuck on another. I found the writing was clear and set the scene well in most problems.

If you enjoyed Barry Basic and the Speed Daemon...

People who like Barry Basic and the Speed Daemon also gave high ratings to these games:

Hollywood Visionary, by Aaron A. Reed
Make the movie of your dreams amid the glamor and romance of 1950s Hollywood! "Hollywood Visionary" is a 150,000-word interactive novel by Aaron A. Reed, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or...

The Magician's Workshop, by Kate Heartfield
When your master is murdered, you must uncover the magical secrets of Renaissance Italy, before your rival apprentices expose them first! "The Magicianís Workshop" is a 190,000-word interactive historical fantasy novel by Kate...

Elsewhere, by Stacey Mason
Game made for Twiny Jam, a jam for Twine games in 300 words. Elsewhere in the world, the Water Wars are raging. But things closer to home aren't exactly perfect. Your water rations come at midnight, better get ready!

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Dee Cooke on 3 May 2022 at 1:55pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item