All the Colors of the Rainbow

by Akinis

A short text-based horror about a book, the colours that live inisde it and the gift they want to give you.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2021
TUID: 8ksaqmv6ixssm2zi

Winner, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2021

Multi-colored horror personality quiz?, November 12, 2021

This is a Twine game about a book. The book is said to drive people to madness.

The book is associated with 7 colors, and each of those colors with different (dark) facets of life. You first read about others who took on those colors, then read the book itself, and choose a future, associating yourself with a color/facet.

There's a weird fact in writing that if you use too much darkness, gore, or sexual references, it goes right past being powerful and/or disturbing and goes straight to silliness/camp, and I think that's what's happened here. For instance: (Spoiler - click to show)YoU doNít knoW True JoY. StiCk youR FiNger in your eYe, put a KniFe throUgh youR TonGue. The writing is so extreme, ranging from insanity to guts to strong profanity to bizarre sexual references, that it loses a lot of its effectiveness. I think it could have benefited from being contrasted with something else, like more specific, concrete details or reactions from the PC that show how a human would feel about this, etc. What we don't see in fiction is often far more effective than what we do.

Of course, reading is completely subjective, and I could easily imagine a review saying 'This was amazing! The variety of voices, the visceral details, I loved it!', so I encourage people to try it for themselves.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by N. Cormier on 31 October 2021 at 3:43pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item