Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

A Midsummer Night's Choice

by Kreg Segall

In this Shakespearean comedy adventure, can forbidden love conquer adorable fairy outlaws?

"A Midsummer Night's Choice" is a 190,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Kreg Segall, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind"

When your father, the Duke, tries to force you to marry, you'll leave civilization behind as you flee in disguise, cross-dressed, into the enchanted forest. Mistaken identities, inexplicable bears, and tiny but fearsome fairies await! (Seriously, they wear little walnut shells for helmets, and ride armored baby bunnies into battle.)

Will you fall into the mysterious Faerie Queene's clutches? Will you (or your identical doppelganger) find true love? Or will your father's spies find you first?

Hold on to your heart! The course of true love never did run smooth.

• Play as male or female, gay, straight, or bi.
• Inspire the world with your noble deeds, or play everything for laughs.
• Star in a play within a play. (Er, within a game...that you are playing.)
• Become a jester, a diplomat, a knight, a poet, a shepherd--or leave the world behind and join the fairy court.
• Why is there a bear?!

First Publication Date: August 25, 2016
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: 8k1lq5tlgfh0inf0

An Elisabethean fairytale farce with Shakespearean influences, December 30, 2020

This is a good game overall from a great author, so I have no doubt that most people will enjoy it.

I had a good time with it, but I wished for a bit more. I love the works of Kreg Segall, and I love Shakespeare, but I felt like this game missed both my favorite parts of Kreg Segall and my favorite parts of Shakespeare.

You play the child of a local nobleman who has arranged your marriage to a much older noble. Your father is in ill health and also in ill temper due to predations by forest bandits and advances by rival nobles.

You escape (in cross-dress) to the forest where shenanigans ensue.

I found the ending satisfying, but the start felt a little slow and bloodless to me. I admire Segall's game design most when it offers a variety of competing goals and interests, while I felt like the only real goals here were 'deal with your dad' and 'find someone to love'. A lot of the story felt constrained to hit certain plot points (such as having to eavesdrop on your father, having to remain in your disguise at points where it would be logical not to, etc.).

These choices would make sense if they were forced by being faithful to Shakespeare, but very little of the play is in the game. Only lovers in the woods, the existence of fairies, the play and a few side references are in it. But we miss out on the warm-hearted buffoonery of Bottom, the complex feelings that come from desperately loving someone who always spurned you but now woos you under the influence of a spell, the contrast between the ridiculous and silly poetry in the villager's play compared to the intelligence of Puck, the mystery and elegance of the fairies in general, the silly puns and slapstick humor of the villagers, and the nobility and grace of Theseus and company.

So I guess that while this game is satisfying, I feel that it just missed out on too many good opportunities from the author and the source material.

I received a free copy of this game.

Quite well-written and amusing, February 22, 2017

It was quite well-written and amusing, with a fair bit of replayability. I was laughing through a good section of it. It is one of my favorite text games thus far.

Lovely story, fantastic work, December 8, 2016
by Onirim (Argentina)

Really enjoyable, Segall seems such a great writer. The story keeps you hooked from the very begining to the end. I wish I was a better reviewer but works like these deserve to be mentioned.

If you enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Choice...