available for purchase at Gog.​com

by Steve Meretzky

Episode 2 of Spellcasting
Collegiate, Fantasy, Humor
1991

Sorcerer University: Dangerously close to a real education!

Returning to SU for his sophomore year, Earnie Eaglebeak stumbles across the magical Appliance, survives pledge week, and romps through the bedrooms and barrooms, turrets and tunnels of Sorcerer University.

License: Commercial
Development System: Custom
Forgiveness Rating: Nasty
IFID: MZ-EEE174CC4287BF1948012DB3DDD4EA5E
TUID: 7mcxuyfwj42vc5w2

Followed by sequel Spellcasting 301: Spring Break, by Steve Meretzky

Better than the original in nearly every way but I couldn't enjoy it, May 11, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)

While a technical improvement in every area over the first game in the series, including graphics, sound, and breadth, I just couldn’t put my heart into Spellcasting 201.

You continue to play the noble Ernie, this time returning for your sophomore year at Sorcerer University. You have been accepted into the “cool” fraternity and must survive initiation week. While your frat mates spend the entire week trying to ensure your demise, there is something more sinister occurring behind the scenes of the university that has farther-reaching consequences than your self-esteem. Of course you must save the day, save your reputation, and save several girls from chastity!

It would appear that your adventure is less linear this time around, as there are many more locations to visit and few are inaccessible at any given time. But unfortunately, there are so many rigidly timed puzzles that you really have no choice as to where you’re heading. If you don’t follow the strict outline, you will end up restoring your adventure several dozen times. And that’s just by the end of the first day. This choice of design is a shame as it detracts not only from continuity, but the ubiquitous humor that Meretzky sprinkles about campus. There’s really no time to enjoy the colorful world around you as you’re always having to rush to beat the clock.

If you don’t mind that style of gameplay, then you should love this game. I felt alienated.

If you enjoyed Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer's Appliance...

People who like Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer's Appliance also gave high ratings to these games:

Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota
Pig lost! Boss say that it Grunk fault. Say Grunk forget about closing gate. Maybe boss right. Grunk not remember forgetting, but maybe Grunk just forget. -- IFComp 2007 blurb

Suspect, by Dave Lebling
You're guilty until proven innocent. You have walked into a hotbed of deceit and trickery. And now they're accusing you of something you couldn't have done. But they have proof that you did it. "You're a killer," they say. And until you...

Everybody Dies, by Jim Munroe
It starts with a metalhead, Graham, realizing that throwing that shopping cart over the bridge was not the great idea he thought it was. Even if it did get him out of washroom duty at Cost Cutters. Illustrated by Michael Cho. Took third...

The following polls include votes for Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer's Appliance:

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

Non-Infocom games of commercial era worth playing by tekket
What commercial games published between 1980-1993 other than those by Infocom do you think are worth playing?

This is version 3 of this page, edited by DonaldJohnson on 2 May 2018 at 4:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item