SpeedIF_Y.zip
Contains SPEEDY.Z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Banana Apocalypse and the Rocket Pants of Destiny

by Emily Short profile

Humor/Science Fiction
2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-010525-1A5A
TUID: v3fbrr6q0jb4o12l

A delicious little treat., April 25, 2009
by gruelove (UK)
Related reviews: sweet and funny

I'm always a little doubtful about just how enjoyable a speedIF game could be, and therefore have invariably overlooked them in the past. If this little gem is anything to go by, I've clearly been missing out. It's a sweet little scenario involving an imminent date and the banana and rocket pants of the title. I have a weakness for comical situations in fiction and this piece of IF doesn't disappoint. In fact, if I find myself disappointed that I have reached an end, I can be quite secure in my high opinion of the work.

Only one little point of note(which stopped me giving it full marks) was the use of CAPITALS in seemingly random places. They almost gave an indication of something more to be discovered but were, I assume, meant simply as emphasis. This aside, I very much enjoyed this piece of IF and played it over and over again.

An excellent example of what can be achieved with a short piece.

Quirky with some funny moments, June 5, 2013
by Jim Kaplan (Jim Kaplan has a room called the location. The location of Jim Kaplan is variable.)
Related reviews: emily short, humor, speed IF

No one comes up with a work of genius with two hours' worth of coding, but Emily Short still gives us a wacky and offbeat vignette to match the wacky and offbeat prompt. The IF equivalent of a decent two-minute YouTube video: fun, light, harmless.

If you enjoyed Banana Apocalypse and the Rocket Pants of Destiny...

People who like Banana Apocalypse and the Rocket Pants of Destiny also gave high ratings to these games:

For a Change, by Dan Schmidt
"The sun has gone. It must be brought. You have a rock." [--blurb from Competition '99]

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle, by David Dyte, Steve Bernard, Dan Shiovitz, Iain Merrick, Liza Daly, John Cater, Ola Sverre Bauge, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jon Blask, Dan Schmidt, Stephen Granade, Rob Noyes, and Emily Short

Whom The Telling Changed, by Aaron A. Reed
The people had always gathered on moonless nights to hear the stories, since the time of their ancestors' ancestors. The heat of the fire and the glow in the storyteller's eyes made the past present, and the path to the future clear. The...

The following polls include votes for Banana Apocalypse and the Rocket Pants of Destiny:

Best IF Titles by Fredrik
No doubt you have played some great games with great titles, or been disappointed to find games with great titles that did not hold up to expectations. What are the best titles of IF? They can be funny, elegant, evocative, or whatever...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Zape on 15 April 2021 at 4:42am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item