Competition Version

Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game!

by B F Lindsay profile

Locked Room

When pulling on the door doesn't 'cut it'. A delightfully shameless, unforgivable one-room tribute to the games of Andy Phillips.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 7F9023BA-75F4-4BDD-93F5-D451621A2B9B
TUID: 3kmxtza6171jehxa

Makes reference to Time: All Things Come to an End, by Andy Phillips
Makes reference to Heist, by Andy Phillips
Makes reference to Enemies, by Andy Phillips
Makes reference to Heroine's Mantle, by Andy Phillips
Makes reference to Inside Woman, by Andy Phillips

17th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A loving tribute to/light parody of Andy Phillips in a single room, November 19, 2019

Andy Phillips is a figure in the IF community known for occasionally releasing massive IF games that generally feature science fiction of some sort, large maps with a few puzzles available at a time, and deadly women.

In this game, you're a super-fan of Andy Phillips who has been locked in by his roommates. You're wearing a jumpsuit from an Andy Phillips game and you have tons of memorabilia around the rooms, all of which is directly based off of the games.

There are a few start puzzles and then one main one, getting out of the room. I found the starter puzzles not too hard, but the main puzzle requires few leaps of intuition. Given the constrained size of the game, however, it's possible to suss out the solution after time, and there is a great help system.

Impressive homage to Andy Phillips, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019

The homage that is Frenemies does not only feature a die-hard fan who has filled his dorm room with objects from Andy Phillipsí games, but is also centered around a single puzzle that should make Phillips proud. Of the games alluded to in Frenemies, I have only played Inside Woman 1, which is without doubt the longest and most difficult game I have completed. The main puzzle in Frenemies is possible to solve in five minutes, but more likely to take you close to two hours of tears and frustration, followed by a deep and fulfilling sense of accomplishment. If the game were significantly larger, I would have probably regarded this puzzle as too clever, but as it stands more or less alone in a one-room game, I think itís just perfect. The writing is mostly excellent, though the humour a bit juvenile at times, while the protagonist carries some of the naÔve, self-mocking touch that characterised Tom from the Bullhockey games.

If you enjoyed Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game!...

People who like Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game! also gave high ratings to these games:

The Hugo Clock, by Jason McWright
Two men, one a brusque bowling ball; the other a murderous dandy, discuss their fate and the fate of the world. They've chosen someone to send. He's clever, but hopefully not too clever.

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It, by Jeff O'Neill
You are standing at the edge of a barren field. A steady wind, having secreted away the topsoil, is now drifting sandy dirt across the plain. A scant sign of life here is a freshly-burrowed molehill on the ground. > MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT...

Dream Pieces, by Iam Curio
You are in a dream but if you stay you'll miss out on a great birthday! If you like the rhyme... It's hammer time!

Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for February 2020 by David Welbourn
On Thursday February 27, 2020, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for...

The following polls include votes for Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game!:

Best mechanical/physics puzzles. by Rovarsson
I had a lot of fun with the underground trolley puzzle in Axe of Kolt by Larry Horsfield. Any other games that feature cool mechanical devices, Rube Goldberg machines or solutions that rely on using the laws of physics (gravity of...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Zape on 1 December 2020 at 6:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item