Entre le vin et le dessert [Démo]

by Tristan Bruneau

Vous êtes un.e marchand.e invité.e au grand bal annuel d’un des plus riches commerçants de vin de tout le pays. Vous ne savez pas vraiment pourquoi on vous a invité, mais une chose est sûre, tout le gratin y sera: des riches commerçants, des nobles, des princes, etc. Votre famille vous a donc missionné pour faire bonne impression auprès de toutes ces personnes influentes.

Durant la soirée vous allez rencontrer nombre de personnages et tomber sur des mystères qui vont vous emporter dans de grandes aventures jusqu’au bout de la nuit.

Language: French (fr)
First Publication Date: February 14, 2022
Development System: Moiki
TUID: yqbfxik0ujm0mh9o

1st Place, Best game; 2nd Place, Best technical; 2nd Place, Best writing - French Comp 2022

A smoothly polished French game with Moiki engine and dark Bohemian themes, February 21, 2022

Though just a demo, this a pleasant experience overall.

It uses a custom interface that is made with Moiki, a system I've never seen before but which seems like a smooth, stats-based hyperlink system with good graphics integration. My first impression is 'choicescript mechanics and Twine styling options', but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Game-wise, I'm going to call it 'Bohemian' as it's focused heavily on wine, food, culture and literature. It has some darker undertones as well.

The stats at first felt like perhaps they weren't used very much, but as the game progressed I saw them more. It was a bit odd seeing some choices where you have to be good at a stat to use them, but your reward is just more of that stat (I swear I read an Emily Short post where she calls this 'rich get richer'). But the demo didn't last long enough to show the long game, so it's possible this won't be a problem in the long run.

My only other (small) complaint is that the text when gaining something special just flashes on the screen for a second, so I (a non-native speaker) couldn't finish reading it.

Otherwise, a good story, reminding me of an Edgar Allan Poe story adapted by someone who owns a vineyard.

If you enjoyed Entre le vin et le dessert [Démo]...