Story file

Baggage

by Katherine Farmar

An exploration of stuckness, change, and the things we canít let go

First Publication Date: April 2, 2021
IFID: 8CEEA979-E038-436E-9D61-F36049B1697F
TUID: w9zu9wc6ltg2tqlp

Audience Choice--Best Abstract Game, Best Verb Use, Most Allegorical, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2021

Not sure if I found everything, April 24, 2021

There's a lot of fun poetic imagery in this piece. It ends quite abruptly, and won't take more than a few minutes if you play it as I did.

(Spoiler - click to show)INVENTORY, then EXAMINE all of the stuff in the satchel. The game will suggest that you can CHANGE the stuff, so CHANGE all of the feelings, one at a time. Then you can trivially GO EAST and WAIT a turn to win that way, or CUT BRAMBLES and GO WEST and WAIT a turn to win that way.

EDIT: (Spoiler - click to show)You can also optionally help the traveler, who appears fifteen turns into the game. You can GET ODDMENTS (twice), GIVE ODDMENTS TO TRAVELER, and then TRAVELER, CHANGE MOMENTS.

Maybe there was another way to win? Maybe there's more to it? Or maybe that's all there is.

Stepping off the gravel road..., April 9, 2021
by Rovarsson (Belgium)

Baggage is set in a very evocative symbolic setting. You're on an endless gravel road going nowhere. Your only chances of getting somewhere lie behind two impenetrable hedges.

You must dig deep within yourself to make for yourself the tools you need.

This vignette tries to relate to the player the hard and painful work it takes to open a path out of depression or emotional blockage. It gets a lot of things right; the need to hold some cherished beliefs to the light and see them for what they really are, to leave behind painful yet known -and therefore twistedly comfortable- convictions and memories.

The way to deal with these, to mould them into something helpful instead of restrictive is a bit easy. I would have liked to see some more of what a person need to do and what needs to happen to a person to climb out of the darkness, instead of presenting it as a "simple" decision. However, this small story does present the necessary steps one has to take, albeit somewhat on the theoretical level.

The contrast between the player character and the traveller (the only NPC) gives a bittersweet taste to the endgame.

A sincere and thoughtful piece, worth thinking and feeling about after you finish.

Couldn't figure it out, April 3, 2021
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)

This game is very abstract, with concepts implemented as objects and I suspect able to be used in that way if the conditions are right. I could not figure out how to do so though, and after puzzling with it for awhile and asking the game for help (only to be told I'd created a game condition without an associated hint), I gave up. There wasn't anything about the game up to that point that made me care enough to fight harder to get a resolution/ending.

This is a game I feel like would have been better in Twine or a similar system. Instead of me getting frustrated to the point of giving up, trying to make the parser do what the author wanted me to do, I could have been guided gently down the author's intended path.

If you enjoyed Baggage...